Sealant for rebedding

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maine Sail's butyl tape is great for fittings. For bedding portlights I much prefer caulk, which fills gaps and is easy to clean up afterwards (outline the exterior part with painters tape).

Butyl needs to be compressed to be effective, whereas Ericson portlights sit in their openings, held by the exterior flange against the pressure of breaking waves. The interior trim is mostly cosmetic and not intended to be tightened hard like the bolts of a deck fitting.

Choose a low adhesion caulk, there are many good ones. No 5200, which is a strong adhesive. Boats flex, which is why Ericson portlight openings are slightly oversized (and crude)--a permanent bond is to be avoided.

p.gazibara

Member III
Maine Sail's butyl tape is great for fittings. For bedding portlights I much prefer caulk, which fills gaps and is easy to clean up afterwards (outline the exterior part with painters tape).

Butyl needs to be compressed to be effective, whereas Ericson portlights sit in their openings, held by the exterior flange against the pressure of breaking waves. The interior trim is mostly cosmetic and not intended to be tightened hard like the bolts of a deck fitting.

Choose a low adhesion caulk, there are many good ones. No 5200, which is a strong adhesive. Boats flex, which is why Ericson portlight openings are slightly oversized (and crude)--a permanent bond is to be avoided.
Ericson port-lights actually stiffen the cabin sides. Particularly on the second generation boats (which I have).

The cabin sides are amazingly thin, so the port-lights act as a slightly structural member with their aluminum frame. It is a good idea to use something that is very flexible to keep them from leaking.

-p

Attached is a good read on use of butyl tape for your research.

Wow! That is exactly the information I was looking for, as I prepare to re-bed the deck hardware on my new project boat!
This forum is awesome!