Sealant for rebedding

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Hello, welcome ! I have not done it yet but I believe the consensus is to use butyl tape. It seals extremely well and stays flexible so no hardening and thus cracking/leaking. I'm sure others who have first hand experience will also way in.

Vickigehrke

Member I
Hello, welcome ! I have not done it yet but I believe the consensus is to use butyl tape. It seals extremely well and stays flexible so no hardening and thus cracking/leaking. I'm sure others who have first hand experience will also way in.
Thank you. Yeah I have heard several options including butyl tape, tub sealant, marine sealants....just not sure what to do!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you! Have heard of this somewhere! Is paint thinner safe for the deck?

Advice comes with no guarantees, but this is used by our ship wright because it does not affect Awlgrip or harm gelcoat. Most others solvents (acetone and lacquer thinner, for instance) are pretty hard on paint and gelcoat. Lots harder on human hide....
I will check on the sealant #.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Windows, chainplates, stantions all in need of TLC on our new to us 32-2 in Wisconsin
Welcome!!! You’re going to find the EYO site a wealth of information in anything you want or need to know about Ericson or sailing in general.

...This subject comes up often and there’s plenty of information on the subject in the archives for you to review.

In a nutshell....
We rebuilt all of ours a few years back and rebedded the aluminum frames to cabin sides using butyl tape. Easier clean up AND it worked!!

The vinyl rubber glass to frame is still available from a place close to Cleveland, Ohio (listed in the archives).

Also for minor leaks, get a small bottle of Capt. Tolley’s silicon sealant. It’s very thin and seeps into the cracks sealing them nicely with no messy excess on your glass.

Vickigehrke

Member I
Welcome!!! You’re going to find the EYO site a wealth of information in anything you want or need to know about Ericson or sailing in general.

...This subject comes up often and there’s plenty of information on the subject in the archives for you to review.

In a nutshell....
We rebuilt all of ours a few years back and rebedded the aluminum frames to cabin sides using butyl tape. Easier clean up AND it worked!!

The vinyl rubber glass to frame is still available from a place close to Cleveland, Ohio (listed in the archives).

Also for minor leaks, get a small bottle of Capt. Tolley’s silicon sealant. It’s very thin and seeps into the cracks sealing them nicely with no messy excess on your glass.
Thank you! We are getting bomar gray series to replace 6 windows. But may need that vinyl for the large ones! I love knowing that "it worked"!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sikaflex 291 LOT.

Perhaps TMI, but ....

Additional Hint for a better seal: Briefly wash off all fastenings and the bases of metal fittings with some laquor thinner, and dry them on a clean towel. This removes the residue of machining oils and lets your sealant bond better to them even better.
I was a bit skeptical of this 'extra step' at the start, but was surprised to see how discolored the solvent in my little can got after a bunch of screws had been dunked in it. :(

Wear your vinyl gloves all of the time. For a major re-bedding project, buy and wear a thin protective coverall. They can cost only a few $, when make of Tyvek, for instance. I wore out a cheapie, and for the last 6 months have used a $60. one of breathable fabric. Excellent Investment....

Keep a large bag near you or a 5 gallon bucket for paper towel sections with sealant on them. That stuff gets around..... if you do not corral it promptly...... :)

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
For sure get the butyl tape that Maine Sail sells on the website Dave G. listed above. It’s far and away better than the stuff sold at RV stores and most marine stores.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thank you! We are getting bomar gray series to replace 6 windows. But may need that vinyl for the large ones! I love knowing that "it worked"!

We were hesitant with it in the beginning as well, but very happy with it now given our now lack of leaks. (Deck holes were oversized, filled with glass and redrilled to keep waters out of balsa coring.)

We’ve also used it as a bedding for our winches, cleats, stanchions and chain plate covers as well. It never dries out so it doesn’t crack and then leak overtime. I have no idea where it’s at it

If there’s any drawback, it does ooze back out for a period of time requiring additional clean ups (easy to do).

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I rebedded virtually everything on my boat with Amazon bought butyl tape back in 2018 but if I had to do it again I would mostly use 3M 4200 (or equivalent). For port lights I definitely recommend 4200.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Couple reasons:

I found the butyl tape to dry out and crack over time and even with tightening sessions on hot IE days, a year later the fitting would be lose again Because of oozing

I learned how to properly work with 4200 using masking tape to not get it everywhere.

4200 has adhesive properties

Vickigehrke

Member I
Couple reasons:

I found the butyl tape to dry out and crack over time and even with tightening sessions on hot IE days, a year later the fitting would be lose again Because of oozing

I learned how to properly work with 4200 using masking tape to not get it everywhere.

4200 has adhesive properties
Thank you!!