Scuppers on the E-29

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you have the scuppers like the one in the picture you have exposed core in the cockpit floor. The floor is sandwiched glass and wood core with a hole drilled for the water path and four screw holes for screws the hole is left open to water. I am replacing these scuppers with thru hull type. I had feared this was the case but couldn’t believe they really could be done this way.

Attachments

• P2180519.jpg
    P2180519.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 65
  • P2180521.jpg
    P2180521.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 53
  • P2180525.jpg
    P2180525.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 50

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Wow, that's not a very good design. Are you sure it's original? My '69 32 has a brass tube (a standard plumbing fitting, I've learned) with a small lip around the top that goes THROUGH the deck and to which the drain hoses are attached. The grill plate on top kind of holds the tube down.

I wonder if the bent pipe was an aftermarket addition

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Randy,

Does the right angled pipe in your picture rest on top of the deck core or underneath it? I'm wondering if the core is actually exposed between the cover plate (the slotted one with the screw holes) and the right angled piece, or if the placement of the right angled actually seals the core?

Did you find wet/rot in the core when you removed your cover plates?

Once you replace yours, can you please post pics of the final installation? My scupper drain looks just like yours, and I may decide to do mine too.

Thanks,
Frank

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Frank
The angle will not go through the hole in the sole. The slotted chrome plate is on top of the sole and the angle tube is against the headliner in the quarter. Surprisingly the core is only soft about the area of the bolt hole pattern. The scupper I took apart was partially clogged and water was backing up against the core. For thirty three years I guess this has worked fairly well.
I plan to use screened flush thru hulls and a marelon 90 hose barb inside.