San Juan-Gulf Islands Aug 25 Sept 9th - Anyone Care to Hook Up?

wurzner

Member III
I'm leaving this Friday for Pt. Townsend, Victoria, Sidney, Ganges, and then Nanaimo by the 30th. I have a friend who is turning 40 and he wanted to spend some time in the Islands. My wife will be joining me later in the trip and we will take a nice leisurely 8 days to get back to down to Puget Sound. Is anyone planning on cruisng between the 30th and the 9th? If so, let me know and mabye we can hook up. Also, I haven't been north of Ganges before so any secret spots or local knowledge would be appreciated.

thanks
Shaun

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Shaun,

we're heading out the weekend of the 9th for a couple of weeks. We're going to be heading north toward Desolation Sound though. You're welcome to extend your trip a bit and join us.....

wurzner

Member III
Mike, Thanks for the invite but we will be on our way back home. Tom on the other hand, things may work out. Are you staying on the hook at at the marina?
shaun

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Shaun,

I recommend Wallace Island if you're going north of Ganges. That's the only stop we managed north of Ganges. Princess Cove is the least stressful spot for a deep draft. Stern ties are the rule unless you stay out toward the entrance to the cove.

The island is partially private and mostly park. The hike to Conover Cove is a good idea if you want to explore the old resort. There are more trails that go to the northwest also.

This year we came back through Cattle Pass (but we saw no orcas) and had a calm passage across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Hope you had a good weekend on the inside of Whidbey.

Have a great trip!

PS - If you go into Ganges, let us know if the Ganges Marina office is floating again.