Salon table pedestal

jtsai

Member III
For those who have done this, how is the salon table pedestal fastened to the cabin sole? Is it nut & bolt or machine screwed to the TAFG structure? I wish to bring it home for some repair but want to make sure it can be reinstalled easily.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Mine is secured with wood screws or lag bolts, no nuts. Most of not all fasteners are only through the wood sole, and not the TAFG. I removed mine last year for painting, and had zero complications.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On My 35-3 they are screws that go into the TAFG.
Historical trivia -- the center line table with folding leaves on our Olson was secured via 5/16" ss lags, a pair in front and a pair in the rear at the bottom part.... down into a piece of teak about two inches by 8 inches, under the sole. Not into the grid, tho.
I thought there was some little bit of flex observed in the screwed down sole when the table was leaned on. I replaced the teak with two pieces of 1/4" aluminum bar stock, drilled and tapped for thru bolts.

Much more significant --I added a short piece of alum. (L) angle between the front of the table center and into the slot on the mast. With that aluminum piece "slotted" into the spar the whole assembly will (and has) withstand a lurching 200# person in a seaway without any flexing.
The original scheme seems to have been adequate, based on experience and hearsay, but the improvement was major, also.

If I had an Ericson of this vintage I might drill and tap for bolts into the TAFG and if there war no frp under one of them, it might warrant a wider pieced of G-10, epoxied to the underside of the sole and tapped.
(Just a random thought and worth less than one cent...)

I have been on some deliveries where the interior furniture - table or shelves - was weak and vulnerable. Humans tend to lurch around without notice in a cross sea. :confused:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I did glue a piece of scrap under the unsupported floorboard under my table, to receive the screws. Not a bad idea when you're in there, although in my case the factory didn't bother.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Anyone have dimensions on a suitable replacement for a 32-3? I broke mine a few years ago and have never found a replacement that fits right for depth and such. Might just need to hacksaw a different table's central column, I guess.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's a past thread on replacing the table pedestal:

About 50% of my new holes hit the TAFG, I used machine screws through the sole with backing fender washers and bolts on the other holes.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is Table awkwardly large? Do you plan to use it as a fill-in to convert table to double berth?

An easy option exists which has improved ergonomics of my saloon:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Anyone have dimensions on a suitable replacement for a 32-3? I broke mine a few years ago and have never found a replacement that fits right for depth and such. Might just need to hacksaw a different table's central column, I guess.
Hi Geoff,
I'm not sure if you are referring to the tube or the base, but if the tube, Lucky Dog had one for sale from his 35-2. Not sure if it's still available.

If the base, I purchased a Svardfisk (sp?) replacement from Seattle Fisheries (not sure if I got the name right).

Cheers,
Jeff

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just because we’re discussing table pedestals here is what I did on my E32-3. The table is no longer available using the link on my YouTube video but is available on eBay. Just look for ”Springfield 3 Stage Pedestal”.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Anyone have dimensions on a suitable replacement for a 32-3?
Mine has an 11” tall base tube with an 18-5/8 long inner/upper tube which is just shy of 2-3/8” diameter. The base is 10-1/2” diameter. The table top should be 34-7/8”x24” in order to fit for a large bunk.

Anything else you need?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Zwaardvis brand (swordfish in Dutch, South African company), almost as hard to remember and spell as Qest fittings (similar to Pex). Both were original equipment on some or many Ericsons, and still available today.
Thanks for the spell check. I should have remembered it because for some obscure reason the visual of that word delights me.