Sailboat transport

trlebus

We are looking for property in Pensacola (hopefully with our own
dock).
We have an Ericson 35 here in Southern California that we would like
to have trucked there since we won't have the time etc. to sail there
through the canal

Anyone have any recommendations or links for boat transport companies?

Thanks!

Lew Decker

Member III
boat transport

Hi - I don't have any suggestions, but I would like to know what you decide. I am thinking of shipping my boat to Galveston and will be in the same situation as you. Let me know how it goes.

escapade

Inactive Member
marine haulers

I had my E34 shipped from Atlanta, Ga. to Bay City, Mi. by a fellow named Leroy from Goose Creek, S.C. Got lucky, as he is a very good hauler. Your best bet would be to talk to your local marina operators &/or boat brokers to see who they use and would recommend. A good reference is someone who hauls for the manufacturers, as they want someone who will deliver the goods in one piece. Prices will vary based on time of year, distance (of course), and weather or not they can secure a return load. It cost us about $2,000.00 in 2001 to move it 850 miles, plus decommissioning & marina fees. Still cheaper than motorsailing up the intercoastal figuring fuel, food & lost time from work. People have boats hauled all the time, just make sure you get a reputable hauler. The cheapest price isn't always the best deal!
Good luck, have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I had my E35 trucked from San Diego to Pensacola 3 years ago, by a company called Smooth Sailing; they did a sound job and were easy to work with, although damage would have occured if I had not been present to supervise the loading. I also spoke to Joule Transport who have a very good reputation but were a little bit more expensive.
For cranes on the Pensacola end, the Yard at Bahia Mar probably has the best reputation right now, or you can try Pensacola shipyard, who are for the most part honest. Do NOT use Brown Marine - I did and am still spending a lot of time in a law suit.
Is this a navy move? If so make sure the boat is your primary residence. I can offer a lot more advice on that if it is relevant.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972