Sail Repairs

frick

Member III
Greetings to All,

About 11 or twelve years ago, I needed to have the sacrificial re-sewn on my 130 Roller Furling Genoa. I visited a few shop and the best price I found was about 300 bucks.

After a bit of shopping on eBay I found a Consew walking foot sewing machine that happens to be a part by part duplicate of the sailrite LZ1. I do know that sailrite does a lot more set up and and has come custom parts compared to mine but I only paid $285 dollars for it new.

So my first repair, paid for the Machine.

I have done a large number of sewing repairs on my sails as well as for friends. Anyone else out their doing their own sail repairs?

Rick+

tenders

Innocent Bystander
After being impressed with what the bosun's mates did with an industrial sewing machine on the Navy ship on which I was stationed, and with a bit of inspiration from Don Casey's This Old Boat, I bought a basic home model to learn on.

I haven't done sails, but I've done tons of Sunbrella, canvas, nylon, and denim for covers of all sorts and ditty bags. Taught myself with a few basic books in the cabin of the E32 when I lived aboard in SoCal.

Still have that machine. My daughter took a liking to it a few years ago in middle school and is better at the clothing aspect of sewing than I am. It has become one of my most prized possessions.

Last edited:

frick

Member III
Sewing canvas

I hear the joy.
It is fun and creative... Beside I have saved so much money is dyi fixes.

I just finished touching up my 130 Genoa. The sacrificial Sunbrella needed some work. This may be the last time.. The shape is still nice but it's greeting old.

I get a ton of fix it ideas from sailrite, and YouTube.

Something I do every few years is have a sew in. I set up my machine and help my sailing friends by repairing their canvas, or replace a zipper.

It's good will, and free beer.

Rick

Vagabond39

Member III
Bosn's sewing machine

After being impressed with what the bosun's mates did with an industrial sewing machine on the Navy ship on which I was stationed, and with a bit of inspiration from Don Casey's This Old Boat, I bought a basic home model to learn on.

I haven't done sails, but I've done tons of Sunbrella, canvas, nylon, and denim for covers of all sorts and ditty bags. Taught myself with a few basic books in the cabin of the E32 when I lived aboard in SoCal.

Still have that machine. My daughter took a liking to it a few years ago in middle school and is better at the clothing aspect of sewing than I am. It has become one of my most prized possessions.
I swear those Navy sewing machines would have handled plywood. I made the mistake of repairing a small cover, when new aboard, young, and foolish. And the Gun Boss made sure I got much practice.
A bosn friend was doing McNamara's lace for the captain's gig, a 26 foot whaleboat. While crossing the Atlantic, he finished it. Division Officer saw the completed doger, and told him to do the quarterdeck awning, by port.

frick

Member III
All metal machine s

The old all metal industrial sewing machines are awsum.

I still can't get over what my little walking foot machine can punch through.

Rick

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
After seeing what Christian accomplished with his vintage Singer 237, I bought the Admiral one on eBay then had it serviced. She made us a new Lifesling bag with a Sailrite kit. She wasn't real pleased with our machine when she piled four layers of Sunbrella and it slowed to a stop. I spoke with Christian and his has no problem. I guess we got a weak motor.

She he has been looking at the Toyota sewing machines. This one does canvas and leather its ease. They are now available in the U.S. http://lotathings.com/Industrial-St...ewing-Machine-PLUS-19500-IN-EXTRAS_p_861.html

She also was considering the Toyota Super Jeans thinking it could do the job of Sunbrella and upholstery.

I found a barely used Sailrite machine for $350 in December but the seller had second thoughts about selling it so cheaply and backed out.

I like the idea of replacing the Sunbrella strip on our Genoa.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
+1 for sewing

At this point, I've made tote bags and ditty bags for family and friends, plenty of cushions, exterior canvas, reupholstered all interior cushions, made cockpit cushions from scratch, and recently made some leather & Phifertex water bottle/winch handle pockets I intend to use both in the cockpit and in the cabin. Conveniently, it also seems perfect for a wine bottle too. Priorities.

I haven't tackled sail repair yet, but that's next. I'll be adding a third reef point and reinforcing the slides on the main, and make some minor repairs and reinforcements of my jibs. I waited for a long time for a used LSZ-1, but never saw it. I ended up just paying for the Plus version and even then, I've come out ahead with the amount of things I've produced.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Old Sew an sew

I learned to sew on a White sewing machine. It sewed. I don't know if it was pre war or pre depression era. Years a go I purchsase a Montgomery Ward Model 11. Tension is a little touchy, however, it does the job.
When I was first married I had a sofabed that needed reupolstry. Priced that, then priced materal and machine, Machine won. Wife never did learn to sew. But it took her many states to get a drivers liscense, and she was blonde.

frick

Member III
Very NICs

At this point, I've made tote bags and ditty bags for family and friends, plenty of cushions, exterior canvas, reupholstered all interior cushions, made cockpit cushions from scratch, and recently made some leather & Phifertex water bottle/winch handle pockets I intend to use both in the cockpit and in the cabin. Conveniently, it also seems perfect for a wine bottle too. Priorities.

I haven't tackled sail repair yet, but that's next. I'll be adding a third reef point and reinforcing the slides on the main, and make some minor repairs and reinforcements of my jibs. I waited for a long time for a used LSZ-1, but never saw it. I ended up just paying for the Plus version and even then, I've come out ahead with the amount of things I've produced.

You have created some great and useful products. Very nice.
Sail repair is a piece of cake... But having the room to work is very important too.

I have used the gym in my Church... Pushed together seven plastic banquet tables, had created. My own sail loft. Sometime you have to poll up the sail to get the seams through the arm... Cheap spring clamps work well to whole things together.

I have also use that monster industrial thread with asize 20 needle. It is harder to see with, the bobbins run out quicker.

Other than sail repair I also did new curtains for my boat. I used Pacific blue sunbrella.

At the sail yard I try to grab any used sails that might be discarded, free Dacron is good.

Rick

James Skok

Sew WHAT? ...curtains, uphosltery cushions, sail repair, cockpit bags

I too snagged a used HD sewing machine for a small investment. While I don't tote it about with me on the boat, suppose I could if I really wanted. It's a highly regarded piece of sail kit as anything else I have. I found a sturdy all metal RELIABLE walking foot machine that has paid for itself. It seems to be second cousin to the SailRite machines whose parts fit the Reliable. You can buy a monster wheel which improves the ability of the machine to punch through fabric more easily easing the strain on the motor, plus it enables the machine to be used without power by hand. Reliable has come out with a model called the Barracuda which looks like a Hyundai copy of the SailRite model. It, too, is pricey though. Sometimes a SailRite comes on the market thru eBay or other. If you see it and it is 3 or 4 hundred, BUY IT. You can't lose. There is an added therapeutic benefit from this kind of sewing. You've accomplished something that has that special meaning that is reserved for us as sailors dedicated to improving our lot through self reliance. The only requirement for sewing success is patience. Speed is nice, but it comes only with patient practice; a lot like sailing an Ericson. FUN!

frick

Member III
You are so right

I do not sail with my machine, but I use it often to build stuff.
Tote bags are one of my favorites.. They help teach me some techniques.

One day I may try to build a sail from scratch...

Rick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Singer 15-91 and 237 I use work well with #18 needles and V-92 thread. But because they are really just all-metal-gear home machines, attention must be paid.

Change needles often. Needles dull, just as any knife does. I change every half hour, if working on a large project.

For multiple layers of material, there are workarounds. At folded corners, with overlaps of folded Sunbrella hem, snip away on the diagonal some of the hidden layers. This reduces the layers to sew through. It is not a trick, but a standard practice.

A 1950-60s home machine can be mightily abused. I get a running start for problem areas, and force the issue. No baby talk to the machine.

These devices don't have a "walking foot," which mechanically walks fabric along. So--pull it!

I recommend a 15-91 from Internet/Bay for $150 or so (price is low if the antique cosmetics are bad). Buy from a machine restorer, not an individual. They know everything and have a reputation to keep up on the Internet.

Committing to a new Sailrite machine, or used equivalent, is a great way to go. And easy resale is pretty much assured.

But if you're not sure sewing interests you, try an old Singer. It's cheap tuition, and the learning process is the same.

Either of my machines could have re-hemmed the foot of a genoa I sent to the sailmaker, no problem. I just didn't feel like feeding 300 square feet through my living room.

If sailmaking/repairing is in the back of the mind, consider not only the machine required but what that actually entails--on a dock, at home, or in the cockpit.

Last edited: