Sail Logos?

wurzner

Member III
I have a new main arriving Thursday just in time for the Annual Round Whidbey Island race. I need numbers which the sailmaker is sending up separate...I forgot to ask for them. The other question is what it the best way to get logos on the sail and what material should they be made of? Normally, they seem to be made of a very thin dacron style material with adhesive, but that may be old school. I'll ask my sailmaker if they have the logo (Ullman Sails) and I'm sure they do, but am curious what the approximate cost is and if I should just have it done locally? By the way, my main was 2500 plus shipping from San Diego (no sails tax) so it puts it at about 2700. That is for a racing main (code 5) with 2 full and 2 partial battens and 2 reef points. The material is 8.2 oz challenger hi modulus dacron so I believe that is a good price. They designed sails for me in the past and I've been very happy, so stick with existing relationships since I'm sure it won't be the last sail I order.

thanks
shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would hesitate about giving any of my boating units of currency (buc's) to a sailmaker that would not put my class emblem on as part of their basic pricing.
They usually quote a nominal fee for the numbers and a draft stripe, in addition. :cool:

Only at the lowest end of the price spectrum do they charge extra for an emblem -- but that's the price point where even "UV resistant thread" (as one of the ads sez) costs extra. Evidently some of those cost-conscious customers sail only at night... :confused:

Strictly IMHO, for $2700. those items should be included without any attempt to nickle and dime you.

This opinion and $2. will get you a tiny cup of coffee at Starbucks.
:D

Loren

wurzner

Member III
Loren,

Sail numbers and emblem were bone head oversights on my side...we won't even mention the draft strip. I'm sure they would have all been included if I put a little more thought into it, but as usual, I followed the "why do today what you can delay to tommorow" approach. After doing taxes and realizing I still had some blood, I delved into my radar budget to order the sail under the requirements it be here in time for my race this weekend. It will be, but I just spaced out. When they measured my boat, I wasn't there and I was more preoccupied with whether to put in 3 reef points or 2, and where to put them. My current main has 3 and while I never have used the 3, I like the concept since the boat either has a very powerful rig, or I sail in too high of winds. I don't mind being out in 35 plus knots, but like to be comfortable and 2 reefs and small headsail is still way too much without rail monkeys.

You bring up a good point...I doubt my sail will have the draft stipe since the sailmaker looked at my old sail for consideration and it too doesn't have a draft stripe. I can't wait to see what I get on thursday, but I'm sure I will like it either way...they do great work and the oversigh was on my end.

I can't wait to race this weekend...78 miles around whidbey island!

By the way, as my brother pointed out, the person in front of the helm looks like he is doing his nails. That is me and I'm timing the boat behind us as I cross the finish line. We had a nice ride, came in 4th out of 13, and didn't have the bottom redone or the 2nd reef hooked up as we should have. Also, my nails looked better!

Attachments

• sorcerer.jpg
    sorcerer.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah so. I understand about the emblem. :cool:

That's the kind of nice sailing picture we all wish someone would take of own boats.
Interestingly, they must let you race and be scored without numbers on an overlapping genny.

Good luck this weekend!
I went out last night to crew in a race... and the wind never really came up at all. Lucky us -- the rain also held off until we put the boat away, as well.
While waiting for the RC to "abandon" We sat around the cockpit and talked and watched some ultra-lights trying to sail in winds of 1 gusting to 2... with almost two kts of current. :p

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thats a great price on the main. I was quoted 2500 by Scott sails in Annapolis for a main using standard dacron and it was a very bare bones sail. Everyone else, North, Q, Doyle, etc was north of 3k using good dacron. I will say 8.2 oz dacron is gonna be a mother to flake though. Especially if its the race dacron that they load up the resin on. I went with a Dimension Polyant laminate called CXT I think. It is heavy as well and after 2 years is still a bit of a beast to flake single handed in breeze. Good luck on the race and let us know how the sails turns out. regarding numbers and logos most sailmakers have that stuff and include it in pricing. At least that has been my experience here on the right coast. BTW what gives with not needing numbers on the genny?

ChrisS

Member III
Where can you find the emblems?

My boat came with new sails (Doyle), but no emblem. Where can you find them, and do they just stick on? I see lots of Ericsons on the Bay, and I'd like to have the helmet on my sail as well.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Emblems and numbers

The Ericson logo should be in a big pile of other logos for other boat manufacturers at any major sailmaker, and most small ones. They make a plastic form from the artwork and lay it onto to colored dacron sticky back material and cut out the logos-this is the same material sail numbers and draft stripes are cut from. Then they are applied to the sail.

I would be shocked if your racing main does not have at least a draft stripe installed-and as Loren said, I could see them charging you after the fact something, but in my day in this type of situation, I might charge for either the numbers or the logo, but not both (especially if we built a racing main).

Having said that, unless this is "your" thing, putting numbers, logo's and stripes on the sail yourself is slightly difficult without the benefit of a nice flat floor and pins to hold the material flat-not to mention experience of having done it a few times.

You might want to ask the RC if they will let you sail the race without numbers (explain why), and then send the sail back to have it all installed properly. They will usually let you do this once. You will be much happier with the result.

So, to recap: sail numbers, stripes, and logo's are all available from all sailmakers, and are cut from the same dacron sticky back material. You would be nuts to consider trying to obtain any of these any other way.

With respect to the question of why no #'s on the genny: Numbers are generally required on genoas with LP's greater than 129 or 130% (depends on what PHRF region you are sailing in). A 126, 127, 128 or smaller percent headsail (including non-overlapping jibs) does NOT need sail numbers.

Best of luck this weekend!!
S

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Logos stripes

Shaun,
I recently bought a new main from Ullman in Ventura & they gave me the logo & draft stripes with no extra charge. I did ask for them up-front, though. I didn't request numbers, but got the feeling that would also come as part of the standard price.
The logo looks sharp, too. It's big & is blue, but has a red button at the top of the helmet.
Keith
E-33
P.S. Gary at Ullman Ventura is a good guy & well experienced....Seth knows him from his west coast days.
P.P.S. Yes, the thick dacron is tough to flake.

wurzner

Member III
Yeah, Like I said...please nominate me for the stupid award. They will be sending up numbers and emblems. As for sail numbers on the head sail, I mostly race out of our club and perhaps it is due to being commodore this year, no one has busted my chops about it. I have an assortment of used headsails...some better than others. I only paid 150 for the one in the photo and it is a pretty nice RF sail off of believe it or not, an ericson 38! I have another at home tha tis pretty much the same thing and brand new-never flown that I paid around 600 for.

It was an oversight and I will certainly add the numbers to the mainsail. When we did swiftsure last year, we notified them that the headsail I was using had different numbers and they were fine with it..but I blew that sail out and put it in the dumpster at the end of the race.

Gary Sweenson at Ullman Ventura is a great guy. I've never met him, but I believe he designed the sail I'm getting and the past 2 pentex sails for my Ericson 32. They are great sails and he did a great job designing them.

The new main will be a pain in the but to flake. I might put my old main on when cruising this summer because it is a lot more flexible and will be easier to put away. Also, the 3 reefs on the old main are nice if I need to go somewhere in high winds and want to be comfortable with just the wife and I on board. I find the boat is either very powerful, tender, or both. If it is blowing upwards of 25, I'm going with the 3 reef and 90 up front...that keeps the boat moving very nicely and reasonably flat.

Can't wait for the weekend!
Shaun