Safety Equipment

Brian K

Member III
I'm looking for feedback on proper installation and use of a horseshoe buoy used together with a man overboard pole. Specifically, how are the two tied together, how long should the line between them be? I assume both are not attached to the boat in any way. I have a full sized Jim Buoy horseshoe buoy and a Jim Buoy MOB pole that came with my boat, but I don’t have the instructions with either of them. If anyone has the installation and use directions for the Jim Buoy stuff and can send it or attach it to a response I'd appreciate it.

Also, I was thinking of replacing the horseshoe buoy with a Lifesling, but looking into that option, it appears maybe you should have both onboard.

Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You probably know this but the purpose of the pole is to be able to spot the "man". Always throw them the horsehoe buoy first and then the pole. I would not connect them as it could cause problems deploying them. The pole just needs to be close as it will likely stay near the "man" if he does not grab on.

If you upgrade to a lifesling, you still need the pole.

BTW, I have a horseshoe buoy but no pole. I also have a lifesling that is stowed in the stern locker that I will deploy once I get back to the "man". The horseshoe buoy is on the rail. Because of the way I steer and the fact that I do a lot of racing, I feel the lifesling on the rail gets in the way. If I were going offsore I would buy a pole, mount the lifesling on the rail and buy a GPS locating device for every crew member.

Emerald

Also, I was thinking of replacing the horseshoe buoy with a Lifesling, but looking into that option, it appears maybe you should have both onboard.

Thanks

I went through this same thought process, and decided you really needed both. My reasoning is that priority one is to get something to the person in the water for them to hold on to, and I think an untethered horseshoe thrown to them achieves this very well. My concern on attaching a line to the first throwing device is either the line fouling or running out of line and towing the horseshoe out of reach - I often am the only really experienced person on board- I can see a scenario with Emerald sailing off with friends unable to bring her about..... So, I have both, with the thought of leave one device in the water that stays near the person over, and then have the Lifesling as a 2nd throwing device and for recovery.

Curious to see what others do.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
This is an interesting subject, of which I have zero operational experience, and I hope it stays that way, but this has been my thinking:

6 kts equates to 10 feet per second, and realistically it will take several seconds for the horseshoe to get thrown even in ideal conditions. I agree with David it should never be tied to the boat. I have always tied the horseshoe to the pole, on the grounds that seeing a small life preserver at a distance of maybe a hundred feet will be impossible for a swimmer in any swell, whereas it would be feasible (assuming he is uninjured) to swim to the pole, knowing flotation would be tied to it. Tangling is a concern, but I try to mitigate it by tying the line in a certain way and ensuring nothing ever obstructs it. In certain combinations of crew and weather, as mentioned above, it might be preferable to have the horseshoe untied by itself for reasons of simplicity - I too would be interested in the thoughts of others.

I carry a separate lifesling for the recovery stage.

If any of that equipment ever becomes useful, it will mean I have not done my job properly in having everyone wearing the right gear for the conditions - tethers, lifejackets, operational strobe lights etc.

The exception is at swim call, when being towed behind the boat on a horseshoe is good goofing - and familiarity with the equipment is always a good thing.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Last edited:

missalot

Member II
Below is a portion of the PIYA safety equipment regs. It says attach the Flag to the horseshoe. Makes since to me, if your in the water, in a seaway, seeing a horseshoe if it didn't get thrown right too you, might be impossible, at least you may be able to see flag -

PIYA stuff:
R R R N 5.4 High visibility lifebuoy (horseshoe or ring type), large enough to slip into, with bright water light, drogue, and whistle attached, mounted ready for instant use. The water light may be omitted for daylight races.
R R A N 5.5 Additional lifebuoy with drogue and whistle or lifesling without drogue (or equal recovery device of floatable type) mounted ready for instant use.
5.6 Deleted
R R N N 5.7 Flagpole which must float upright with high visibility 15˝ x 15˝ flag, top of flag to be 6 ft. above water. The pole is to be attached to 5.4 above to form one ring-light-drogue-flagpole assembly ready for instant overboard release. The Switlik MOM8-A (MOB) system is approved as an alternate if maintained in accord with manufacturer’s requirements and installed to meet the above instant release requirement.

Emerald

The flag makes a lot of sense, especially in any sea state. We are spoiled by virtually no wave action on the Chesapeake. Can't tell you the number of days I've been out with it blowing 15-20 and waves are 1-2 at the most. Makes for some great sailing. :egrin:

CaptDan

Member III

I assume both are not attached to the boat in any way.

I don't understand that reasoning at all. At least one of the Type IV (throwable) life bouys SHOULD be attached to the boat - whether it be a Life Sling, ring bouy or horseshoe. The preferred method is at least 60 feet of floatable (polypropylene) line -the bitter end tied to a secured part of the boat. The line should be carefully coiled and stowed so it can reeve out without fouling in an emergency. A 'throw bag' unit is even better.

That said, you should have several Type IVs available - cushions, an extra horseshoe, etc - to throw towards the MOB, not only to aid the victim's bouyancy, but to also mark the area as vividly as possible.

An MOB pole shouldn't be relied on as the only means to mark a victim's position, especially in choppy seas. The more stuff you can throw, the better - which doesn't replace at least one crew member (if available) to keep an unwavering eye on the MOB.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Brian K

Member III
Great comments all. My buoy is tied to the MOB flag and I understand there are valid arguements for keeping them tied and for leaving them separate. I do think if the complete system is secured to the boat you will be quickly out of reach of the MOB. I think a great set-up would be to have a horseshoe buoy and MOB pole that you could toss together, a LifeSling to assist in recovery, and even one step further, have the Mustang Rescue Stick on hand also. And of course, all this is something you hope to never use.

We did practice deploying the MOB pole and the horseshoe buoy last summer. The deployment went well but recovery of the equipment did not go as well. We pulled up to the MOB pole and picked up the pole only to have the weighted buoy fall off. Recovery of the weighted buoy was certainly entertaining for anyone watching, and frustrating for us. As a result of this practice session I installed a small ss screw through the buoy and pole shaft where the pole attaches to the buoy. Now the pole will stay attached to the buoy and practice will be a little easier.

Thanks again for the comments.

Emerald

In addition to planned MOB drills, I like to add in the hat overboard drill. Seems that there are lots of good opportunities to have an impromptu rescue mission for the flying hat. As part of the pre-sail talk, just get everyone on the same page so there isn't confusion when you go to rescue the hat, but go through the same process of having the hat spotter maintaining hat-eye contact etc. Only difference is the boat hook gets deployed instead of the Lifesling :egrin: I like doing this since you don't know when a hat will go, so you get real practice on whatever point of sail/traffic/sea condition so forth instead of something where everyone is on the ready.

CaptDan

Member III
Seems that there are lots of good opportunities to have an impromptu rescue mission for the flying hat.

Yep, wind-launched head gear is a great excuse to practice an MOB drill.

One of my personal faves was when a female guest's floppy 'deco' lid took flight in a stiff SF Bay breeze. (Where DO they get those accessory ideas - classic post cards from the 1920s?:egrin:)

Whatever, a fine feather in the crew's cap when they manage to rescue one. Comparatively speaking, it's usually easier than pulling the owner out of the drink too. :rolleyes:

Capt Dan G> E35II "Kunu"

Ray Rhode

Member III
Gareth,

I have a multipart tackle for retrieving the MOB. The top block has a short piece of line attached to the becket and loops around the boom. The tackle is long enough to be run though a genoa track block and to the cockpit winch.

I also have the bouy tied to the pole with 10 feet of poly line. I did this to increase the chances of the MOB and the crew being able to get together quickly. The pole is mounted in a clip on the backstay next to the bouy. The bouy and pole can be deployed in one quick motion.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Safety and Singlehandling

There is not a ring buoy or life sling out there that can help you if you fall out of the boat while single handling. Two things that I have done that might just save my life or yours while sailing alone. I throw over a 60' line and drag it around as I sail, Yes, it might slow me down, but Im not out there racing anyone. The second is that I have a small submersible VHF that I keep fully charged and tethered into my inflatable pfd. Yes, I dont sail in the oceans of the world, but our waters can kill too. Actually that is three things because I also always wear a pfd at all times while sailing. I love sailing very much, but I dont want to die doing it and hope that I never need these safety precautions, but you just never know.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Great topic. I never did get a MOB pole, but made do with a horseshoe buoy and Lifesling. You really need both, since the Lifesling is not a quick deploy device, but rather a recovery aid. I also purchased the block and tackle for use with the Lifesling and showed my wife how to rig it and hoist it with the main halyard, and then reel the subject (me) in with the main winch on the tail of the block and tackle.

Since the last season I had the boat was singlehanding, I also gave a lot of thought to how to make that part safer. For one thing I took off the Lifesling since it didn't really make any sense any more for a singlehander. I thought about trailing a line behind the boat like Rob mentions, but instead I ran jacklines on both side decks, across the cockpit, and down into the cabin to the mast. I ALWAYS wore a combination inflatable life jacket with integral harness, fitted with a rescue knife, whistle, strobe-flashlight combo, small flares in a pouch, and a waterproof VHF radio in another pouch. That thing was HEAVEY, but I felt a lot safer wearing it. At night I clipped in all the time. During the day I probably should have been clipped in all the time, but if things were calm I have to admit that I usually only clipped in when going forward or leaving the cockpit.

My other suggestion for singlehanding safety is to keep a "relief jug" in the cockpit, so that you are NEVER tempted to relieve yourself over the rail.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the answers on lifesling recovery, if you have any pictures of it rigged up they would be welcome.

The other piece of gear I carry that I did not mention before is a bag in the cockpit locker with 40ft. of line on a shackle, and a set of flippers, mask and snorkel, in case I need to go into the water for an injured casualty. I chose 40' as the same length of line I have on the lifesling (the furthest I would be able to throw it).

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Ray Rhode

Member III
Gareth,

Here are a couple of shots of my rig. It is a small boat boom vang with a loop through he becket of the top block. The four to one purchase and the tail led though the primary winch allows my wife to haul me back on board. When attached to my toppong lift it also makes launching the dinghy fro the foredeck much easier.

Ray

Attachments

• Retrievial rig.JPG
    Retrievial rig.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Rig installed.JPG
    Rig installed.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 41

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ray,

Do you have any provision for her to get you on board if you are injured/unconscious?

It's a real challenge to have the necessary tools aboard to deal with a man overboard situation, while still keeping it simple so a "crew" can respond, especially when anxiety is high in a crisis.

Thanks for any additional comments.

Frank

Last edited:

Ray Rhode

Member III
Frank,

This rig is for use with the Lifesling. The loop end fits around the boom and the snap shackle attaches to the Lifesling. The rig would be used if the MOB was unable to board via the swim ladder due to injury , etc.

Ray