Guest viewing is limited

Rust stain, or worse?

peaman

Sustaining Member
In the attached image, what's likely the deal with the prominent rust-colored stain? And just as importantly, what can I do about it, preferably without tearing up my headliner?

This is on a 1987 32-3. The leg with the rust stain is through-bolted and conveniently placed over a zipper in the headliner, so that's easy enough. But given the angles of the other legs, I will need to detach at least one other foot from the deck in order to remove the tubing guard for full access to the rust-stain area. I can also access the above-headliner area under the port-side foot, but that appears not to be through-bolted. Instead, there is a block of wood(?) under the port-side foot with no sign of fasteners. I tried removing one of the screws on that foot, but several turns didn't show any progress, so it doesn't seem to be a normal screw-into-wood-block condition.

Any guidance of how things are put together here will be welcome. There are no signs of water penetration to the interior in any of the foot locations.

IMG_3963.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Davis FSR fibreglass stain remover works pretty well on that. It's available at marine chandleries or on line, not too expensive. It may take a few applications with a tooth brush or similar.
Most people think that stainless steel is stainless, but it isn't always. I'm not sure what is causing the rust in your picture
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use Barkeeper's Friend. It's common for stanchion bases to rust like that. I spray some on before setting up the wash hose, and usually it comes off without needing a brush. You might need a stainless wire brush if rust is bad.

Such products use oxalic acid, hardware store full of them, any will work.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The tubing can be removed from the bases without detaching any of the bases. I've done it twice. It' 3/4" tubing and it's pretty flexible.

I had a leak in that same area and had to replace a few square inches of plywood core below the center base.

Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
When I was going over our boat with the surveyor, he said the rust stain at the bottom of stanchions was a sign of the bedding compound had failed. I didn't think too much of it at the time other than to check for leaks and make sure the core was still solid. I haven't fixed the two that he found during the survey 3 years ago. Has anyone else heard this advise?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Has anyone else heard this advise?
Well, that has been my experience recently. A broken seal seems to keep the SS fastener "sitting" in water, surrounded by the damp/wet wood core, which causes more rust than a "dry" fitting does.

Good bedding: 20220816_150344.jpg

Failed bedding: 20220816_150432.jpg 20220816_150433.jpg With drips caught on a rag, below. I never actually saw active drips, but this is what I collected over a few months in 2022.

The problem with that center dorade guard post shown in the OP is that it straddles the raised non-skid surface on 2 sides, leaving a void in the middle. I dealt with the same problem two years ago. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/cabin-top-core-repair-questions.19966/

And, the completed repair:
20231012_154526~2.jpg 20230929_190615.jpg 20231126_133839.jpg

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I can also access the above-headliner area under the port-side foot, but that appears not to be through-bolted. Instead, there is a block of wood(?) under the port-side foot with no sign of fasteners. I tried removing one of the screws on that foot, but several turns didn't show any progress, so it doesn't seem to be a normal screw-into-wood-block condition.
From what I remember, the center and starboard base bolts were accessible from the headliner zippers. The port side is wonky though, and, yeah, the through-bolts are covered by a piece of plywood. I can't remember whether I was able to unscrew that plywood piece, or whether I had to cut it away. I did have to un-staple some of the headliner for access.
20201012_220453.jpg

20230922_132002.jpg

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I was told that stainless steel will rust where is can't drain or breath properly. Failed bedding is the likely cause here. Replacing the fasteners might be a good idea if they are rusted badly. I have several stanchions to bed this season.