Rust spots, and rusty water showing up in freshwater tank under the vbirth in my E38

Spirit Moon

Member II
This past week I noticed for the first time rusty water coming out for a short period before clearing. Inspection of the bow tank showed a small rust spot on the bottom of the tank and on the side of one of the baffles. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so the boat stays in the water year round, doesn't freeze and water in kept in the tank so I'm not sure why the sudden appearance of rust. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to resolve it? The spec sheet for the E38 states the tank is stainless steel.

Frank
SV Spirit Moon

Last edited:

jcabell

e38 Skipper
Perhaps Just Validation

Hi, Frank. I have an '85 e38 with the water tank under the forward berth. The previous owner had the tank removed after a leakage problem (and to make the boat covertly faster!) About 4 years ago I had the original tank repaired, pressure tested, and re-installed.

There have been and still are small dots/pocks of rust at the welding seams and occasionally on the flat interior surface of the tank. I can see no issues on the exterior, and I have never seen enough rust that was concerning or that discolored the water. Here in Virginia, I winterize the tank, so each December I dry it out and leave it open for the off-season until the end of March or so.

I understand distilled vinegar can neutralize rust and would probably be safe to use inside the tank. It might add a temporarily new flavor/odor to your system. Knowing my own smelly pipes, that may not be a bad thing.

I'm not sure if this helps, but at least it's related info. John