Rust In Exhaust Water

Dan Hayes

Member III
When I first start my water-cooled Universal 11 HP diesel, the first gush of water that comes out has rust in it - a cloud of rust stains the water. Then the water runs clear and there is no problem after that. The engine runs perfectly, I have just replaced the heat exchangher zinc (it was soft and pretty much shot) and I'm wondering - should I be worried? Is this just from the engine sitting for a week?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Happens to me too. The rust comes, I believe, from the mixing elbow, which is cast iron and rusts out until you have to replace it every 10 years or so.

jmoses

Member III
Rust and engine

If your engine is totally raw water cooled, then salt water and iron (engine block) will produce the rust. Otherwise, have a look at the aqualift (is it steel or cheap stainless?), any steel/iron pipe fittings in the system such as the exhaust elbow, transom flange, valves (cheap gate valves?), exhaust piping, etc.

If raw water cooled, you may want to flush the engine to clean it out. Also, be sure to start the engine regularily (once a month?) to flush out the crud. Otherwise, the crud will build up over time causing overheating etc.

John M.