Running Back Stays

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We are contemplating installing (re-installing?) a stay aft of the bow upon which we would fly a staysail or storm jib. It appears that this will not be too much trouble to do, assuming we suitably reinforce the deck and transfer loads to an assembly glassed into the bottom of the hull. I think there is how-to info on this site as to how to accomplish this. My question is this, where/how do you mount the running back stays that are required when running this type of rig? There appear to be suitable tangs on the mast to rig the upper portion. Any advice would be appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Runners....

AFAIK all the Olson 34's came with provision for runners, or as they are also called, "checkstays". Mine are led to swivel turning blocks on each side of the rear side deck, just ahead of the rear mooring cleats. They are backed up with small backing plates. The runner tails, half inch dacron braid then go forward to the secondary ST winches.
Other Olson's I have seen used a heavy duty 4-part tackle that went to a cleat. Either solution is correct...
:cool:

In our case, this runner or checkstay is used to stop the mast from pumping forward in a seaway. Our rig design has the uppers and lowers in-line.
Your boat probably has fore and aft lowers. I agree that you would need to support the upper spar where you would attach an inner stay for a stormsail.
(We never rig ours unless out at sea -- our local sailing area is 90 miles inland on a river.)
Sorry that my info is not specifically for your class of Ericson.
Note that when rigged, you must let one go and take up the other, for each jibe or tack. Keeps ya busy...
:)

Best,
Loren
Olson 34 #8 Portland, OR

Mike.Gritten

Member III
See, now that's why I keep coming here! I learn something new every day. Yes, you're right, Loren, it would keep you busy. On the 35-2 we have a T-track running almost the full length of the boat that the fairleads/blocks for our genoa sheets run on. Would it be acceptable to rig the turning blocks on this toerail/track combination?
We have a couple of other boats with cutter rigs at our dock (we have a private dock shared by only 12 of us - 11 sailboats and one powerboat). They both have what I calculate to be 6:1 tackle similar to our mainsheet blocks attached to their running backs. They also both have what appear to be purpose-built chainplates in the appropriate spots near the stern.