Rules of the Road Question

u079721

Contributing Partner
So here is an interesting Rules of the Road question for you all - courtesy of Hurricane Sandy.

Who would be the "stand on" vessel in this case: the boat, or the upcoming train?

a) The train, since it is restricted to the "channel"?
b) The boat, since it is aground?
c) The boat, since it is restricted in its ability to maneuver?

Attachments

• Boat on the Tracks.jpg
    Boat on the Tracks.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 313

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Very good question (though what a mess for the boat owner!). My vote is that the boat has right of way as it is aground with no ability to maneuver; at least the train can take some action to avoid a collision--ie. it can stop before it reaches the boat. The exception to that is if the boat is located on the tracks where there is a bend in the tracks so the train can't see it in time to slow down. This would absolve the train somewhat.

In any event, the boat owner should also be able to show that they have 1) put up flags/notice up the track to warn the train to stop due to obstruction ahead; 2) have initiated action to get the boat removed from the track as expeditiously as possible.

I'll be interested in what others think!

Frank

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I always take the track that says if it is bigger than me I will yield the right of way. Therefore I would be getting my boat the hell out of the way!

Bob Brigham

Member II
This was not too far from us on the Hudson. For the second year in a row, the clubhouse at our working yacht club had standing water about 3 feet deep on first floor. Many, many boats off their stands and some may be holed.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I always take the track that says if it is bigger than me I will yield the right of way. Therefore I would be getting my boat the hell out of the way!

"Take the track..." that's a good one.

I believe there actually is something called the "Big Boat Rule" that basically says if something is bigger than you and not likely to change its course then you better change your course.

It may be an unwritten rule...

clp

Member III
This boat is clearly anchored. Although he has too much scope, the train should still bear off.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Seeing the direction of the boat, it is clearly being overtaken by the train. The train should pass around to port.

Bob Grenier

Member II
Every time I see a post about the rules of the road it reminds me of this.

This is from a book Titled SONGS of AMERICAN SAILORMEN Copyright date 1938

In the back of the book from a section called “rhymes for occasions”

“These were the Rules of the Road at Sea,” which every young sailor learned as soon as he learned to box the compass. The first for day-time, the second for night use.

I
If close hauled on the starboard tack,
No other ship can cross your track;

If on port tack you appear,
Ships going free must all keep clear;

While you must yield, when going free,
To ships close-hauled upon your lee;

And if you have the wind right aft,
Keep clear of every sailing craft.

II
When both side lights you see ahead,
Port your helm and show your red;