dcoyle

Member III
Last night I was adding grease to zerk(?) fitting on rudder tube. I guess I over filled it as grease worked its way out from under the fiberglass tabing built up around the zerk, not a good thing I suspect. My question will it leak water do I have to reglass- launch in 2 days and many things to finish. BTW found great funnel at Napa for use in changing transmission fluid. It is clear with fluid amount markings on funnel, has on/ off flow control and has 16 inch clear hose with a fitting that fits perfectly into the fill hole. Around $10.

newgringo

Member III
On our E32-3 the rudder tube zerc is above the water line with the boat sitting in the marina slip. The original zerc was rusted shut so I drilled and tapped the fibreglas rudder post for a new zerc about the same elevation. Have pumped tons of grease into that new zerc. Kind of "if some is good then more is better" theory (the steering is easy and seems perfect in opinion). Nice tip on the tranny change oil funnel. Will grab one next trip.

Steve

Member III
No problem

You should be able to find a larger thread zerk made of stainless at a good hardware store. Remove the old, clean out the hole of the old gunk to ensure grease will flow into the tube, then tap out larger. I would epoxy seal the new one in thinking there is no chance it will come out without a great deal of effort, a good thing in an area you rarely inspect.

We took this one step further, instead of a zerk at the tube we tapped in a small ss pipe nipple and attached a long grease gun hose and remotely hard mounted the zerk so we can get at it without any effort. This concept is not new, look at large excavators or other equipment needing regular greasing, many have remote grease ports/manifolds using many yards of hard tubing going to the bearings. For us, now it's a breeze to grease, otherwise it was a royal pain to get at and often forgotten for that very reason.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Zerk Fitting

The Ericson32-3 actually has two Zerk fittings on the rudder post. The top fitting is located by lifting the aft port lazerette cover and removing the canvas and then feeling arouind the shaft. It is not easy to find but it is there. The lower fitting is easy to find by removing the panel in the quarter berth. Hope this helps. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo