Rudder rubbing on hull [and how to drop rudder without haul-out]

funkyculley

Had the anchor drag and was blown into some mangroves during the the latest tropical storm to hit FL last week. When I finally made it out I realized my steering was significantly impacted.

I can turn the wheel completely to the right without trouble but when approaching the forward position I'm greeted with a ton of resistance (I didn't want to put too much effort behind it turning it for fear of breaking something). All of the cables looked snug and symmetrical but when I dove around the anchor I did realize that the back bit of the rudder (behind the rudder trunk) was rubbing up against the aft hull.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is there a way to lower the rudder while still in the water without risking water intrusion? (when I was looking at it seemed like the rudder just needed to be < 1/8" lower to allow for free movement)

Thanks in advance

(Ericson 29)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Kind of sounds like a modest bend in the rudder shaft.
You might be able to straighten it, but this will required removal from the boat. Most similar boats will allow lowering the rudder for removal. Check the outside water level against the top of the rudder post shaft, of course.

Edit: secure the rudder in the water so that it will not sink when released; older rudders often have enough water penetration into the foam core that they no longer will float.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Check to see if possibly the rudder rode up. Reconfirm the quadrant is still perfectly aligned with the sheaves. Examine the top bearing of the rudder post to see if there is vertical space to allow the rudder post to have risen into the bearing.

If your steering is like this 32-3, the rudder post is thrubolted to the quadrant, and the weight of the rudder rests on a Delrin washer on top of the bronze gland atop the rudder tube. A new gap between quadrant and gland would indicate something has changed.

Thelonious rudder post.jpg

But a bent post does seem more likely.

There are reports and videos about dropping and reinstalling a rudder while at anchor. That doesn't threaten water intrusion but is complicated by the fact that rudders float. If there are facilities, most of us would haul the boat.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Due to your description of event(s) I would conclude that the rudder post has bent or the rudder has internally shifted on the shaft. Not sure about the E29 but if the top of your rudder tube is above the waterline you can technically drop the rudder while still in the water. That being said I agree with Christian that it's best to haul the boat to repair if possible as you then can inspect everything and repair as required.

funkyculley

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I've contacted the local yard to have it hauled out, though I worry I'll end up doing it on the water as the beginning of boating season is about here in southern Florida and I don't want to wait for all the snowbirds to have their work done first.

Will update on my progress.

funkyculley

Three-week wait list for a haul-out; looks like I'll be dragging a buddy out to help me this weekend.

Any suggestions regarding what to look for, best ways to correct any bending etc. would be much appreciated!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
No telling what force was applied to the rudder by an 8000lb ish moving boat hitting an object 3+' below the waterline. It will take at least that much force to bend it back. Also the bend would probably be in the tiny gap between the hull and rudder. IF you can figure out how to safely apply that much force in a precise measured manner you will have also weakened the post somewhat in the process unfortunately. Heat is not really an option as it will melt the foam in the rudder and heating+bending SS will weaken it by 50% or more. Maybe a large arbor or hydraulic press if you have enough space on both sides of the bend ?? Good luck and keep us posted !

p.gazibara

Member III
I pulled our rudder and put it back in while in the water before. My setup is no stock Ericson though. Not sure what the top of the post looks like, but I was able to string a rope through a bolt on the top of the post and could drop it without worry of the rudder sinking out of the boat. I also found a heavy duty canvas bag and slung it under the rudder and ran ropes to the aft winches on either side to control the rudder on descent. Turns out it was not required as my rudder floats and I had to putsh it out of the boat.

Putting it back in was a bit tricky as I had to line it up against the buoyancy of the rudder. In the end it was possible, even in the cold Lake Union waters, but took several tries.

Good luck!

funkyculley

I managed to get it out, went quite smoothly with a climbing harness secured around the rudder and a line attached to the rod as it came out of the hull, plus the rudder was still buoyant!

Unfortunately, it does look like there's a slight bend at the base of the rudder. Does anyone know what angle the rod should be coming out of the rudder? Or has anyone had any repair experience with Foss rudders in FL?