Rudder removal

JMCronan

Member II
Hope Everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

I was hoping that someone would be able to advise me on servicing and maybe removing my rudder. I have a 32-200.
When in a following sea the rudder tends to rattle around a bit in the tube, that is what I would like to stop/prevent. I am trying to determine if I need to remove the rudder to do this or if there is a better (i.e.-simpler) way of doing it.

Thanks in advance.
Jack

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Jack, that is probably the lower bearing showing some wear. Rudder removal is necessary to replace the bearing but I have heard of some folks using shims to repair this.

Jon Anton

Rudder play.

Just did this job on our 1988 32-200 at the beginning of the summer.
Went down to Russel's in Morehead City, not far from you.
On the 1988 model, the lower "bearing" is a bronze bushing. I had just a little play, and we didn't think removing the bushing was necessary.
We shimm'ed the rudder down maybe 1/4", because it was rubbing on the hull as it passed through center. I also greased the rudder tubing to the point I could see grease at the bottom. (This took 1 and 1/2 cartridge!)
100% trust in your rudder is important. After loking at the way this was originally built, I don't think it will go anywhere.

JMCronan

Member II
Well, I was finally able to remove the rudder today. It was a pain. I couldn't get the radial drive wheel off. I tried numerous things over the last few days to get the bolts loose but nothing worked. Nothing worked because all of the stainless screws were corroded to the aluminium wheel. I finally decided to grind it in half. I did this because the entire unit was very corroded. I agree that trust in the rudder and steering system 100% is very important. So, I was finally able to work the two halves of the steering gear apart and let the rudder post slip down.

newpbs

Member III
pictures please

Jack,

I would really like to see some photos of your work. I may need to remove my rudder someday. Any pictures that you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul