Rudder Question

TheFletchers

Hi all. So I was beating into a fairly strong wind and current the other day on my 1972 Ericson 27 when I noticed the tiller had developed what I'd call a "notchy" feel when loaded. After returning to the marina I inspected it closer and it felt all right but, when I pulled up on it, the entire rudder moves up about an inch. I don't know how these rudders are secured and am wondering if that is normal or if my rudder is on the verge of falling out!

I'm hauling it out this fall but, it would be nice to know if I could still sail it until September.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If it's like mine, there is one through-bolt that goes all the way through. Plus one screw at 90 degrees that goes through one only one side of the pipe. Either one of these should keep it from falling out. But these are pretty obvious

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Don't worry

You may have some wear, which is causing more play than you would like, but the rudder will not fall out unless the bolt is pulled out.

If it bugs you (and it would bug me), next time you haul out you can shim it up and remove the play.

Happy trails!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My boat has a tiller too. I have discovered that removing the rudder every fall, cleaning out the old grease in the rudder tube and the rudder shaft with acetone, storing the rudder indoors, and remounting it in the spring with fresh grease, is worth the hour or so it takes and completely solves the sloppy and/or unsmooth movement of the rudder all season.

But if your tiller has bronze shims, note EXACTLY how they're oriented before you disassemble them. I had mine in upside down for years and they were forever sticking up and making a greasy mess of the back of the cockpit!