Rudder Post / Quadrant Slippage

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hi folks. Just finished a casual race this evening with some of the other boats on my dock and during the race my center point of steering seemed off (a very fancy piece of blue painters tape on the wheel while my dad makes me a new Turks head knot). Conditions were fresh but nothing crazy.

Upon arrival to our dock and the usual put the boat away check list I centered the wheel and locked it. Walking away I noticed the rudder was not straight but actually at around a 90 degree angle to the boat (remember me, that guy with the white rudder, also easy to see in the harbor).

It was too late to dig into things and I suspect the rudder pole is slipping in the quadrant but besides oiling the chain and cables this is not a system I have dug into before. Any thoughts from the collective? Any special tools I need to bring to the boat tomorrow (a 2x4 and bottle jack for example)? Thanks in advance.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you have the common steering wheel, pedestal, quadrant and cable, I would check that the steering cable is still attached correctly to the quadrant with appropriate tension (about 3/4" deflection), then check that the lower blocks are in place, then check the steering chain in the pedestal to ensure it looks normal.
I'm no expert, but that's what I would start with.
Let us know what you find.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Typically the quadrant is attached to the rudder post with not only clamping bolts it also has a through bolt. If that has somehow fallen out, which would be highly unlikely, yes it could slip but the bigger issue is the rudder could fall out of the boat. So I would check that first and make sure it is indeed still there. If it is then pretty much impossible for the quadrant/post to slip and I would look elsewhere. Easy place to look first is the wheel itself. Make sure it's tight and if it has a keyed shaft(mine does) check that the key is there and in place.