rudder head

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Tiller-steered?

What happened to the original? I replaced my rudder this year and was not eager to try to replace that part. I had the new rudder drilled to fit the old (quite imperfect) rudder head.

You might try Bristol Bronze, although the rudder heads I saw in their online catalog were for rudders with posts of smaller diameters than my 32's.

I also moved up a size in throughbolts (drilling the hole in the rudder head out) and rebuilt the shim plates on both sides of the tiller casting. If those are your issues, they're fixable -- and I have a ton (well, maybe a pound) of leftover bronze shim plate stock if you want some. I believe it's 1/16" in thickness.

Spalding

the original is long gone and i have ben using a home made job that is now nearing the end of its useable lifespan. I have done many seaches and found a great deal for smaller posts. I was hopeing that someone who converted to whell steering was willing to part with there tiller stearing parts or to find a place that sells them for my size post

dave_g

Member II
I saw a previous post that mentioned someone parting out an E27 on the west coast and gave a name and number to call (Dan 310-795-8978). I gave Dan a call and found out he runs the equivalent of a sailboat junkyard. He has some Rudder heads in stock. He will need the Rudder shaft diameter. He wanted $50 for an E29 Rudder head.

Dave

Spalding

rudder post

thanks Dave , I gave Dan a call however he did not have any that size, however he thinks he will come accross one. I have my fingers crossed