Rudder bearings

Sails Pending

I have a 1976 Ericson 36C and I think it's a good idea to replace the bearings/Bushings on the rudder and just go through that whole system, but I'm nit sure where to start.

KRAllen1

S/V Victoria
I did a pretty major steering breakdown in 2011 in Baltimore before a cruise up to Newfoundland. I just went through the pictures and unfortunately did not have the exact info. I removed the rudder which was an interesting lift due to the reverse shear, the rudder want to swing aft. One of my concerns was to get a look at the stainless bolts in the upper rudder gudgeon and the bolts holding the quadrant to the rudder. Then to get a good look at the lower shoe and pin. What I remember is I bought parts from McMaster Carr in NJ. I think used a bronze flange bearing and a straight bearing. I replaced the stainless bolt with a 316 S/S bolt and used S/S washer to retain the bearings on top and bottom. I would guess I used an oil impregnated bronze bearing so it self lubs. I have a memory that I had to drill out the gudgeon for the new bearings. Its been a decade and nothing has fallen off the back of the boat yet, so all is good. The hardest part of the job was lifting the rudder back onto the shoe and getting the bolt back in.

Ken Allen
S/V Victoria
1977 Ericson 36C #45

KRAllen1

S/V Victoria
I ordered the bearing after removing the rudder and measuring the gudgeons and how much wear. The stainless bolt showed little wear or air starvation corrosion. The bronze parts also showed less wear than I expected. I am not sure what is meant about 'cone'. I removed the emergency rudder thing. The rudder clunking at anchor has always bugged me, still does. Turns out really small movements and wear can cause an out of proportion sound or clunk. I have a trim tab on the back of the rudder which is part a self steering system and it also transmits sound.
Ken
S/V Victoria