Rubrail replacement

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Chris,

This is what my yard tells me:

Taco rub rail #A110711TAL comes in 12' and 20' sections. End fittings: F90-5711(left) and F90-5711(right).

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I don't know if the 511 will fit - it's not as deep. I suppose you could grind down the fiberglass lip. My yard got a short section of the 711 to try before ordering it.

I'll take some pictures when the boat is finished (collision repairs, keel rebedding and Awlgripping).

cawinter

Member III
sunglasses please!

She's going to look great! :hail: Not sure we'll be bale to handle the pictures...

Depth is an issue. As I said ealier, I need to take off a bit of the lip on the stbd quarter. The rest would be fine. At this point there is no rush. I'll wait for your results and then start with the work when it gets (even) warmer.

Thanks again for the info.

George Foose

Ericson in Thailand
Ericson 38 Rub Rail Beauty Contest

Would anybody like to give an opinion on the attached option for a local made rub rail?

If Robin Bradshaw at Pacific Seacraft cannot convince the original aluminum extruder to make a replacement this is my option here in Thailand to replace my King's Cup Regatta damaged port side rub rail. However, of course, I would have to replace both sides with this new design made of teak and capped with 316 stainless. Before I devulge price and other details I am curious as to your thoughts. Thumbs up or down?

Attachments

• Free Wind rub rail 002.jpg
    Free Wind rub rail 002.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 139

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Looks good

George - It looks real good, but for me it would be a maintenance headache because of the teak. Others think maintaining teak is joyful.

As a rule, I like those people less than I like wood on my boat. :egrin:

YMMV

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Looks good in your photo-I'd be sure they sloped or slightly radiused
the sides so the water would run off instead of pooling. What is your
finish plans for the teak, if any?

Martin

EGregerson

Member III
robin

Iz Robin Bradshaw at psc the key to all this? Shall i start ringing her phone? I can't find any replacement rub rail I'm happy with. sure would be nice if they came up with a batch.

Glyn Judson

Contacting Robin at PSC.

E Gregerson, Robin is long gone from there unless someone has more recent information that he's returned but I doubt he's back. Secondly Robin is a guy, a British chap to be exact. Robin and I worked closely together many times over the years when I was collecting historical information about the Ericson 31 and I consider him an invaluable resource to that end. I have great and even heart breaking E31 tales that I could tell about those days but they're so far off topic, I'll not continue here. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

George Foose

Ericson in Thailand
Ericson 38 Rub Rail

Yes, Robin Bradshaw is back at PSC . Was responsible forshipping my last rub rail order in 2001. Originally told me "no way" now says they are in negotiations with original supplier. I told him I would take 2 if itwould help. Been quiet for about 10 days. No word. Yes I also found him very helpful in the past.

BrianP

Member II
I realy like the teak with the stainless trim. I know a guy who did this with his Bristol 40 on a budget he found a yard with a rotting out cris craft who sold the stainless for $50 looks so nice.

cawinter

Member III
Geoff update?

Geoff,

Is your job finished? Did the rail come out nicely? Picture?
I'm just now coming out of hibernation and a very busy work schedule. Time to get serious.

Thanks.

cawinter

Member III
Sunglasses, please...

Geoff, thanks for the pictures. She looks great. Congratulations! Tjhis shall be my inspiration...:)

George Foose

Ericson in Thailand
Ericson 38 Rub Rail Unfinished Business

Every time I think to go with the locally made teak and Stainless rub rail which means tearing off the good side also, I get an email from Robin Bradshaw asking me to wait just a little bit more while they are negotiating with a a company in the Pac North West (Morse?) about fabricating some new ones. I would think they have an idea to have more made than just the one I need.

fidji

Eric
rubrail

Yes, it looks great:
Hi ! I'M a new member and I read everything about your saga with your rubrail , and I have some questions on this subject because I have to change mine too. My aluminum rubrail is fully corroded and I want to know how your new aluminum rubrail handle the salt water agressivity ,and why you dont choose to put semi-rigid or rigid vinyl one.
Thank you sir:rolleyes:
Éric
E35-3
Decision

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I used aluminum because I wanted to stay with the original look as closely as possible. In my opinion, it looks much better than plastic/rubber. The aluminum is anodized so it should stand up okay but will, I'm sure, start to corrode over time just as the original rubrail did.

fidji

Eric
Rubrail

Thank you Geoff.
Did you put the longer leg side up or down on your boat
Éric
E 35-3
Decision
:);)
I used aluminum because I wanted to stay with the original look as closely as possible. In my opinion, it looks much better than plastic/rubber. The aluminum is anodized so it should stand up okay but will, I'm sure, start to corrode over time just as the original rubrail did.