Rubrail corrosion

Sven

Seglare
The aluminum extrusion on the E38 we tried to see yesterday looked like it had been attacked by aluminum termites :)

It probably wasn't as bad as it looks but I wonder if we should expect the damage to be more than cosmetic ?

-Sven

Attachments

• Extrusion corrosion.jpg
    Extrusion corrosion.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 268

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Par for the course on my E38. The rubrails are old and constantly exposed to salt water, then fresh rain, likely acid rain as the toerail drain areas are the worst corroded. Someday I will redo them but its way, way down on the list. RT

Sven

Seglare
this is not structural; the hull deck joint is glassed from behind; the rub rail has caulk behind it to keep water from entering the joint. if you're looking for a 38; there's one here at the marina in nice shape.

see http://www.sailboattraderonline.com...-38,38/Zip-20124/Radius-250/Sort-Length:DESC/

Thanks, that one is indeed on our list. Do you think she looks good enough to warrant flying over to take a look ? There is another 38 in Va. that we might also want to look at and one up in Ct. Too bad the country is so large, it makes things more difficult :)

-Sven

EGregerson

Member III
How Far will You go....

for that perfect boat? It is a long way but if there are several prospects....and air fares drop along with decling oil prices.... I would certainly contact the sellers first and get lots of up close photos, and all the info i could. Then there is the cross county shipping charge; unless you go thru the panama canal. I got my 1st boat, an E28, in St Simons Ga; brought it up the icw. But that's a lot closer than the left coast.

ps watch the drafts; chesapeake bay boats tend to have shallower drafts than west coast boats. held og lykke

e38sailorman

Member II
The rubrail on my 1989 38 looked like that also, the worst part was a calcium like deposit would leak down the hull, look bad and be very hard to get off. Did some major hull work 3 1/2 years, painted stripes, epoxy bottom and new rubrail, got a vinyl rubrail with a rubber insert, color black.........looks way better than the original (IMHO) and won't get the moth eaten look. If you want me to I can take a picture or two and try to find where I got the product from.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker

JORGE

Member III
Sven ,
I am going to consider Taco, rubrail replacement, mine is 1971 vintage, the rubber stuff is like rotting cheese. I was thinking of aluminum, but I would Epoxy Primekote it to preserve the metal.

Otherwise, Ash wood,bendt on in section and screwed in, however my whole rubrail is aleakin from underneath. Oh well, I guess after this non-skid coating is done.

or see a real project
http://www.triton381.com/projects/restoration/toerail.html

rcoles

Rub rail corroded

I am looking at a 1990 E38. Pretty good shape, but the rubrail is soooo corroded. where can I get the profile ?