Round Hole, Square Peg (wine rack cabinet)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bruce has a blog entry about things he says only he will notice.

That's the category for revising the wine cabinet so today's booze bottles will fit.

It was either this or a canvas apron with nine pockets in it and strong suspenders.

liq ori.jpg

liq 2.jpgliq 1.jpg
liq fin.JPG

Last edited:

GregB

Member II
Almost done? This was a much needed fix!

Christian - Based on this post, it seems like you are almost done fixing up Thelonious II. Since you have previously stated that the fun is in the fixing, shall we bring her up to Seattle?

My checkbook is all a quiver.

Greg

Bruce has a blog entry about things he says only he will notice.

That's the category for revising the wine cabinet so today's booze bottles will fit.

It was either this or a canvas apron with nine pockets in it and strong suspenders.

View attachment 24025

View attachment 24023View attachment 24022
View attachment 24024

debonAir

Member III
Wow, that is a thing of beauty! How many bottles did you have to empty for the pattern? :)

I was thinking of doing just that job towards the end of very long list now, but thought a) it would be really hard to cut such neat holes out without chipping/splitting at least one and wanting to restar, and b) maybe I shouldn't drink that much on the boat. I wondered if I should buy 1980's liquor bottles instead?

What kind of saw/blade did you use and what kind of finish did you apply?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Converting to squares didn't mar the original varnish--which, interestingly, Ericson applied after the racks were installed, using a rag. The unseen parts are unfinished.

Regular jigsaw blade, I just dabbed some mahogany stain on the raw edges.

A silly one-hour project, but the original hole pattern really meant very little utility and now it will fit olive oil and so on too.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Very nice!

I have a much simpler liquor-locker. The large holes are just the right size for a Balvenie or an Aberlour, the smaller holes are just right for a Macallan or an Auchentoshan....

;-)

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
Nice job Christian. I had a similar problem but with a different resolution. I drank all my whiskey in square bottles to eliminate the need for another project. I now only drink from round bottles.....Oban Single Malt comes to mind. Although lately have been on a Bulliet Rye kick and that damn bottle is oval! :egrin: