Roller Furler manufacturer?

sastephens

I was recently given a rolling furler unit for my E-29' (w/sail!) that I can not identify. What is unique is that it doesn't fit over the headstay like a "modern" furler. Supposedly, it is simply raised via the halyard, behind the forestay. I have seen a similar furler rigged this way and the owner swears it works. Personally I don't see how I can maintain sail shape with this type of furler.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know who manufactures it. I will try and post digital pics later this week. The furler is a large drum made of anodized aluminum with a failead mounted aft of the drum on a short aluminum arm.

Any help is appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It could be a Mariner Co. "Roller-Stay" or "Jibaway" from the late 70's. They used to be in Santa Monica, CA (213-450-1681). My info dates from that era...
:rolleyes:
I think you paid just about what it's worth...

What with good Mark 1 and 2 Harkens showing up at marine swaps routinely, I would keep shopping.
Just before I bought my new Harken Mk 2, in 95, I was offered a used but serviceable Mk1 for half price -- keep your eyes open and let all the local riggers know that you are in the market...

Those moldy-oldies, if in good working order, may still furl the sail. No reefing as we take for granted on modern designs.

This is *only* my biased opinion, obviously.

Loren

Cary Diehl

I would only use a furler like that for a Code 0, or gennaker sail... you cannot (no matter what anyone says) go to weather with one of those units. (unless the boat is like a JY15)

Cary