Rockfish opening day April 21!

Emerald

Running 5 rods and out riggers on your Ericson

I think it's safe to say I was the only Ericson out on opening day running rods. In fact, I might be bold enough to say that I was the only sailboat out there in serious fishing mode. The trip was a blast, but we didn't catch a thing. I have a couple good friends who are really in to fishing and know what they are doing. I'm learning. So, with a little creative wood working and clamps etc., Emerald was suddenly equipped with out riggers and we were running 5 rods with all the right stuff - parachutes etc. Trolled something like 50+ miles and just generally had a good time. So, while I prefer sailing in the final analysis, a day fishing ain't that bad either :egrin:

Attachments

• runnin5rods8x6.jpg
    runnin5rods8x6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 79

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
We were racing on the Antrim up to Sharp's Island light and back... we got about half way before giving up (had to stay fresh for Sunday's race), and we met all sorts of drunk "fishermen" along the way...

When politely asking a boat to troll just a touch faster so we didn't have to tack, we got: "I hope yur next child is born nekkid!!!"

And while drifting in no wind, we got from a boat flying by... just before the wake hit us: "That's why we have a motor!! and that's why we're cooler than you!"

I feel better knowing the fishing wasn't very good:D

timday5

Member II
Wood over the Hatch Covers?

Emerald, do I see teak boards over your hatch covers in that picture?

Last edited:

Emerald

Hi Chris,

it is a quandry, as there are some real jerks out there. We got a lot of odd looks as other folks fishing realized we were doing fishing also and serious about it. We got a handful of thumbs up and big smiles, and one idiot who blatently tried to foul us up and knew damn well that we were trolling and maintaining a course we'd been on quite awhile when he sped up just enough to try to cut us off with his planner boards, and then proceeded to jesture at us like we were the problem. We just blew him off and didn't give him the enjoyment of getting a rise out of us.

So, we've decided for future fishing trips, we'll probably hit weekdays only so we don't have the idiot factor (at least not in large numbers) to deal with. Sad that a bunch of these power boaters have the attitude they do. I just hope they're enjoying the high gas prices as much as I enjoy thinking about how much they must spend for a day on the water. :devil:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I love the outriggers! A little detail on those would be great. I fish off my 38 between Thomas Point and Herrington Harbor a lot. Mostly trolling, but some drift fishing between Thomas point and west river. Actually did really well last summer on rock and one big blue. Best luck was south of poplar island. As an aside Chris my friends on Stitch and Glue did the Sharps Island race as well. Said it was rather light and they did not get in until midnight , but I think they won it.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
When the wind lightened, Stitch took off and left us in the dust... They were double handed with that big chute up last wed night.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thats what I heard about last wed. I am double handing Stitch & Glue with a friend this saturday for your double handed race out of solomons. The owner cant make it but I have time... Any chance you are doing the race this year?

Emerald

I love the outriggers! A little detail on those would be great. [snip]

Hi Ted,

this has taken way too long, but at last, some pictures of the outriggers. They were made by a good friend and frequent crew member. He took 8 foot pieces of cedar 4x4 that he just happened to have laying around, and he ran them through the table saw to make them octogons of about 1 1/2 on the faces when done. Then a couple eye bolts and voila, outriggers. We used padeyes on the coaming that are for the dodger to attach the shock cords used to attach the lines. The outriggers passed through U bolts on the stanchions, and the ends were stabalized by being passed through the opening ports on the cabin. Very simple, but they worked, hhhmmmm, except we didn't catch anything :rolleyes:

I can't tell you what, but we're going to make some modifications for the next trip.

Attachments

• out-rigger1.jpg
    out-rigger1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 51
  • out-rigger2.jpg
    out-rigger2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 51