Rigging asymmetrical spinnaker on E34

It is an interesting question on whether the anchor roller will handle the load or not. On my boat at least, the anchor roller is part of the stainless bow headstay, stem reinforcement thingie. There is a stainless tang that extends down the stem maybe a foot, with multiple large screws. This takes all the headstay loads, as well as anchor loads. If you have a setup like this it will more than handle the A-sail load. RT

I hate to post anecdotal evidence, but I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about just this very topic, and he said that he has seen boats with a similar design to the U-channel that the Ericsons have just up and bend due to the pressure of the tack line's upward force. This was on a Tartan, so take it FWIW.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sprits and Forces

I hate to post anecdotal evidence, but I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about just this very topic, and he said that he has seen boats with a similar design to the U-channel that the Ericsons have just up and bend due to the pressure of the tack line's upward force. This was on a Tartan, so take it FWIW.

If you look at the picture in this thread there is a line holding down the sprit in Grizz' installation on his O-34.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...gear-Sprit-Installed-(finally!)&referrerid=28

Loren