Rig-Rite Frustrations

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Right now my mast is in a horizontal, rather then vertical position in my E32-3, laying upon a few saw horses in the yard at my marina. It was long over due for an overhaul (new sheaves, fittings, standing rigging, halyards, etc.) so the mast was pulled and the yard got right to work on it. Everything was completed without too much fuss but the mast can’t be re-stepped because the riggers are waiting for just one part from Rig-Rite that has been on order since Jan 18, 2023. It’s a Kenyon exit block, part #K-11199P.

For those of you not familiar with Rig-Rite (https://www.rigrite.com/) they are a supplier of spars, rigging and hardware mostly (if not exclusively) for companies that have closed their doors, Kenyon, the makers of my spars being one of them. I’ve dealt with Rig-Rite before and although they did have the part I wanted it was expensive (for what it was) and took a long time getting to me. But this case has been particularly exasperating because they hardly ever answer the phone, never return my emails and basically suck at customer service. The marina did finally reach someone there who said she couldn’t check on the order since everyone was at the Miami boat show! That ends this Sunday so I’m hoping that this situation will resolve itself in someway soon. If the part can’t be had then a substitute will have to be found and will probably require some custom work to the mast to make it fit. $$$$

Why am I posting this story? I suspect a lot of sailors on this site know about Rig-Rite but for those of you who don’t know about this less than reliable source for spars and parts….beware. Stay tuned.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
There was going to be a six-month wait for an E38 gooseneck. This led me to believe that for odd-lot parts like that, they in fact have them made as one-offs, and that no inventory exists. And of course they don't answer the phone.
Well, the yard won't wait that long! And I don't blame them. They'll probably go with another option as it looks now but this week will tell after they get back from the Miami boat show. Of course, if they had had a booth there then what's the point considering the problems we all have with them?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Well, the yard won't wait that long! And I don't blame them. They'll probably go with another option as it looks now but this week will tell after they get back from the Miami boat show. Of course, if they had had a booth there then what's the point considering the problems we all have with them?
I have heard nothing but bad reports about this company over the years. I checked them out when I was going to replace my chainplate U-bolts. Their prices were outrageous, so I had Garhauer make me a custom set that came out to be way cheaper.

One wonders why they go to the trouble and expense of promoting their business at a boat show when they won't actually do any of the basic stuff like picking up their phones and shipping products. It almost seems as though they are put out at the thought of having to sell people things!

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I have heard nothing but bad reports about this company over the years. I checked them out when I was going to replace my chainplate U-bolts. Their prices were outrageous, so I had Garhauer make me a custom set that came out to be way cheaper.

One wonders why they go to the trouble and expense of promoting their business at a boat show when they won't actually do any of the basic stuff like picking up their phones and shipping products. It almost seems as though they are put out at the thought of having to sell people things!
Take pictures and give good details about size.
Reach out to scrap yards.
Bet you find one in an hour.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Take pictures and give good details about size.
Reach out to scrap yards.
Bet you find one in an hour.
Hi, Ralph. Not sure if those comments are directed at me, but in my case I just brought one of the old ones to Garhauer and they used it as a template to make up a new batch. Great quality, quick service, and very reasonable price.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I sent an email to my marina to look at the Harken 1202 Protexit block which looks like it can fit right into the existing mast hole that the Kenyon K-11199P fits into that Rig-Rite has yet to deliver. From what I can see in the spec sheets at Harken their exit block would work and it looks to be built better than the Kenyon model. The best part is that there are two Harken 1202 Protexit blocks sitting in a West Marine store not more than two miles away from the marina, according to the WM web site.

Chschaus

"Voila"
My marina suggested them for Sheaves and axles for my kenyon spar. I emaild them wit a question about the size listed on the website vs actual measurements ( 1/2 inch difference ) never heard back. I emailed Zepher to see if he could fabricate the axle, he got back to me in 20 min and quoted me a cost $89.00 dollars cheaper. Needless to say I'm not dealing with Rig-Rite even though I could drive to their location in about an hr.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
They were the only company who appeared to have a part I needed for a project. Half a dozen phone calls and messages and no response. Companies can't bleed income like that and survive.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
My experience has been hit and miss. I recently learned that if the item you're looking at has a green "buy" tag, it's in stock. Received my fwd reefing sheaves and bushings yesterday, 10 days after placing the order.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Does anyone know the details of the mast top sheaves on a 1987 E34, two out of three are frozen, luckily the main halyard sheave still works but the other two are frozen. I would like to order them from Zehphywers before I haul out.

willo

Member II
Does anyone know the details of the mast top sheaves on a 1987 E34, two out of three are frozen, luckily the main halyard sheave still works but the other two are frozen. I would like to order them from Zehphywers before I haul out.
On my 46 I was able to re-use two of the originals and found a pair of excellent torlon harken's ($350 each new) for like $30 at the used shop.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Why am I posting this story? I suspect a lot of sailors on this site know about Rig-Rite but for those of you who don’t know about this less than reliable source for spars and parts….beware. Stay tuned.
You know you could put an entry into the Ericson EQ section for Rig Rite - mention your issue (link to this thread) and then vote them down once... The EQ board is not just for positive experiences, but also to help others avoid 'less than stellar' vendors, etc.

Just a thought... =)

//sse

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I am currently having my rigging replaced and my rigger is fabricating new sheaves on a lathe. He prefers this approach because he can get a more exact fit than the originals and he can make them quickly without waiting on shipping. Perhaps there is a rigger in your area who can do the same. He also mentioned that Rig Rite is very responsive to him - maybe they are focused on their commercial accounts. Photos show the manufacturing process and old vs. new.

Attachments

• 70188500535__A1C3FAD8-60E2-436D-B7C9-58E814539A65.jpeg
    70188500535__A1C3FAD8-60E2-436D-B7C9-58E814539A65.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 70188645549__D722D49F-2BCE-4201-8249-0DB367077B8F.jpeg
    70188645549__D722D49F-2BCE-4201-8249-0DB367077B8F.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 70188649312__864ABCEB-4145-49AF-9392-D5870E32EB22.jpeg
    70188649312__864ABCEB-4145-49AF-9392-D5870E32EB22.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good comments and solutions have been presented.
Or, you contact this guy to get new ones machined. Note the bearings. We changed out all the OEM Kenyon alum. sheaves in 2021 when the spar was down.
He really is considered the very best, by pro's that I know.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
+1 for zephywerks. They (he) made the new sheaves that went into my mast (gosh, is it really 7 years ago already?!) they're beautifully made, work great, and he was very helpful in guidance about how to measure to make sure they ended up fitting right.

$.02
Bruce