Review on the Ericson 30+

jacksonkev

Member III
Hello,

I just sold my 1971 Ericson 29. I owned her for 12 years and have really enjoyed sailing her around SF bay but she was starting to cost too much in upkeep and I've been looking around for a newer, slightly more comfortable boat from the 80's.

I'm looking at an 1983 Ericson 30+ this weekend and wanted to find out if there were any strong opinions on here about this model and year. Good or bad.

She appears to be in good shape. What I'm looking for is if there are any known weaknesses or structural problems to look for.

My old boat had an Atomic 4 this one has a Universal diesel. My diesel engine experience is very limited. My A4 experience is extremely unlimited (unfortunately).

As for price...she's newly listed at $25K. There have been 2 or 3 E 30+'s in SF that sat at that price, eventually selling for a lot less I'd imagine. Any ideas on a realistic price range for this boat in good working order?

Thank in advance!

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

We have owned our 1984 E30+ for 8 years--not the same year as the 1983 E30+ you're looking at, but I don't think there were any major changes in that one year. I can't comment on suggested price, but can tell you a bit about the boat to help in your decision.

We absolutely love our boat! She is the third boat we have owned in the past twenty years of active sailing. They are well-made boats. The E30+ sails really well in both light air and in stronger winds--we have sailed in up to 35 knot winds and six foot waves which she handled with no problem; she can probably handle more, but then it gets beyond our comfort level.

I do alot of singlehanding, which is no problem at all with this boat, but we have also had up to five adult family members aboard for a week at a time (cozy but manageable) and seven adults for a day sail. The brochure says that there is seating below for up to nine, but I think that would be quite cozy!

You mentioned concern about the diesel engine. These boats came with a couple different Universal diesel engines, ours being the 16 hp model 5416. These are pretty solid, reliable engines. I have no real mechanical experience, but doing basic maintenance is straight forward--ie. oil & filter changes, coolant changes, fuel filter changes, bleeding fuel system, etc.

Although we love our boat, and she has many strengths and advantages over others, there are also a few things to look out for. Firstly, storage lockers and space on this boat is a bit limited, so with a full crew we end up stuffing things in the quarterberth. Secondly, the mast step on our boat was reinforced with an aluminum plate placed on the underside of the deck which I think is not uncommon. Thirdly, the anchor locker on these boats tends to leak at some point, with water dripping from the anchor locker pan into the V-berth behind the liner (ie. it's hard to spot); this repair is not overly difficult, but if ignored it will become a more serious problem.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I hope that helps a bit, and other owners will probably also provide their comments.

Frank

jacksonkev

Member III
Thank you Frank,

I appreciate your reply. I'm pretty excited about this boat.

I also should have mentioned...we are focusing on 30 ft and under boats. Our precious slip at South Beach harbor has a 10 year waitlist and we are in a 30 foot slip right now.

The other boats that I'm looking at are late 80's Catalina 30's (seem nice and there are a lot to choose from in California) and J/30's. I've thought about getting something a bit racier in the racer/cruiser category. There's also a big fleet (SF30) in the bay.

Thanks again.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you Frank,

I appreciate your reply. I'm pretty excited about this boat.

I also should have mentioned...we are focusing on 30 ft and under boats. Our precious slip at South Beach harbor has a 10 year waitlist and we are in a 30 foot slip right now.

The other boats that I'm looking at are late 80's Catalina 30's (seem nice and there are a lot to choose from in California) and J/30's. I've thought about getting something a bit racier in the racer/cruiser category. There's also a big fleet (SF30) in the bay.

Thanks again.

Besides considering the relative speed potentials of the designs, please also consider the "fun quotient" (a made-up phrase...).
The J-30 sails Very Well, but both the cockpit and interior suffer compared to the Bruce King-designed E-30+.

Compared to either, the Catalina 30 sails... hmmm.... "adequately" but without enthusiasm. If you race the C-30 in its own OD fleet, then relative performance is unimportant, however.

IF you decide that you really like the J-30, get the Best Survey that you can of that cored hull. Several of this model had major hull sections with rotted balsa coring in our geographic area, and the expense to re-core hull sections is significant.

The Ericson has a solid layup hull.

Keep us posted on your search!
And... (you all knew I'd say this) but do not rule out a good Ericson-built Olson 911S if one comes onto the market in your area.
:)

Take care,

Loren

Last edited:

jacksonkev

Member III
Besides considering the relative speed potentials of the designs, please also consider the "fun quotient" (a made-up phrase...).
The J-30 sails Very Well, but both the cockpit and interior suffer compared to the Bruce King-designed E-30+.

Compared to either, the Catalina 30 sails... hmmm.... "adequately" but without enthusiasm. If you race the C-30 in its own OD fleet, then relative performance is unimportant, however.

IF you decide that you really like the J-30, get the Best Survey that you can of that cored hull. Several of this model had had major sections with rotted balsa in our little geographic area, and the expense to re-core hull sections is significant.

Keep us posted on your search!
And... (you all knew I'd say this) but do not rule out a good Ericson-built Olson 911S if one comes onto the market in your area.
:)

Take care,

Loren

Thanks Loren!

Love the Olson 911s...my buddy sailed one in the TransPac a few years ago. I raced with him a few races in the bay. Great boat. Wish there were more available.

Kevin

tripper_dave

Member II
If you're thinking about a J30, see if you can find an Ericson 30-2
Not a lot of them around, but they race VERY well and they are built like tanks, diesel, tons of room, very comfy.
But then I'm biased :)

Clarice

Member I
We bought our 1984 Ericson 30+ last year and are really happy with her. Although a serious health problem has meant we have not been able to use her as much as we hoped nor as much as we plan to this year we love the way she handles. She has the universal diesel too and it is sweet. I am told they can last forever with the minimum maintenance of oil and filter change. Only difficulty I've found is access to the engine, particularly the transmission. We changed out the cables and being 5'2'' it was mainly my job. Let me tell you that was a real pain. Some people have made modifications to assist like removing the hot water tank. I will probably do that eventually. Another thing we love is the interior. The cabin is beautiful and although, as Frank says the storage is not great, the interior works! We also had to do the locker leak thing but its a very easy fix. You will not go wrong if you find a well maintained cruiser racer 30+.Finally and another reason we chose our Ericson, is because of the great support here on the forum and the blog!
Good Luck
Janet

jacksonkev

Member III
We bought our 1984 Ericson 30+ last year and are really happy with her. Although a serious health problem has meant we have not been able to use her as much as we hoped nor as much as we plan to this year we love the way she handles. She has the universal diesel too and it is sweet. I am told they can last forever with the minimum maintenance of oil and filter change. Only difficulty I've found is access to the engine, particularly the transmission. We changed out the cables and being 5'2'' it was mainly my job. Let me tell you that was a real pain. Some people have made modifications to assist like removing the hot water tank. I will probably do that eventually. Another thing we love is the interior. The cabin is beautiful and although, as Frank says the storage is not great, the interior works! We also had to do the locker leak thing but its a very easy fix. You will not go wrong if you find a well maintained cruiser racer 30+.Finally and another reason we chose our Ericson, is because of the great support here on the forum and the blog!
Good Luck
Janet

Thanks Janet,

Sounds like another ringing endorsement for the E 30+!

Cheers,

Kevin