Restoring an E35-2 - looking for upgrade suggestions

mediabeach

E35 - Mark II 1977
I just purchased an E35-2 (1977).
She's in reasonable condition but I would like to bring her up to current standards.
She was re-engined 10 years ago ($8,000 retrofit to a Universal Diesel - 30hp).
Most electronics are original.
She has a roller furling, auto-helm, radar dome, alcohol stove.
I know Ericson's have some problems that I should check on.

1. Suggestions for things to look out for would be great.
2. Suggestions for upgrades and improvements would be great.
3. Places to find reasonable prices on sails and other items would be great.

Love the boat - she sails great.
She will be used for exploring the Channel Islands off LA and Santa Barbara.
Currently at Marina Del Rey...hoping to keep her in Santa Barbara in the future.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Dan

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Make sure its safe first:
Replace/rebuild all the seacocks, replace all hoses, new clamps, etc. Have standing rigging inspected, replaced if needed. Running rigging, replace if needed. Water leaks? Rebed, seal, caulk, etc. Clean out water tanks, make sure water system is tight and crud free. Replace or at least check all the head plumbing and hoses. Make certain the engine is tip-top. 10 years is still long enough for a repower to be ignored. Hoses, impeller, HX cleaning, oil change, fuel filter, etc. Check all wiring, bulbs, fuses, etc. Make sure it all works, spray it all down with CorrosionX, Boesheild, etc. Inspect and service steering gear if you have a wheel. Those chains and cables seem always neglected. Strip, clean and grease all the winches. Good anchor and rode on board and accessible?

Optional upgrades:
Decide what you can live with. If the electronics do the job and you are okay with it, then clean inspect and move on. Is the hull in good shape? Or does it have some blisters and need some attention? Is the rudder dry and tight or wet and delaminating? Are the portlights/hatches, etc. in good shape and watertight or do they leak?

Thats a start, RT

PDX

Member III
1. Suggestions for things to look out for would be great.

There have been project threads about scarfing in main bulkhead replacements on some older Ericsons that have chainplates attached to bulkheads (as is the case in your boat). The bulkheads had rotted as a result of water intrusion from chainplate leakage overhead. I don't know how easy this is to spot (whether the chainplate is in plain sight or hidden) but this is probably the first thing I would look at.

jkm

Member III
A good supply of beer helps with decision making!

I have a '72 35-2 and I've kept it basically stock. Upgraded most lights to LEDs, added GPS, more battery capacity, extra insulation around icebox (drilled small holes from inside and shot in expanding foam), and a refrigeration system for ice box.

I principally use the boat for weekend+ trips to Two Harbors. Boat really doesn't need too much done to it other than what Rob says. It's a good, sea worthy boat as is.

John

steven

Sustaining Member
If she doesn't already have it, found putting a luff slider system on the main to really worthwhile --Steve