replacing winch

Sam Vickery

Member III
I am about to replace the main halyard/main sheet winch on my 32-3. As luck would have it, the holes (5 of them) for attaching the new winch do not match the existing holes for the old winch. My plan is to fill the old holes (with epoxy?) Drill new, oversized holes and epoxy, redrill the holes the correct size and attach the new winch.

My question is what type of bit do I use to limit the possibility of spider cracks developing. Does this process sound right or am I over thinking it.

Thanks,

Sam

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I wouldn't drill oversized holes and fill them in. A better solution is to drill the holes then use a bent nail or old allen key with a sharpened end on it to hog out the core through the correct sized holes. A vacuum will suck out the debris and then you tape over the bottom holes and then fill the void with epoxy thickened with filler until it just barely pours. It can be injected also. When it hardens the holes are then drilled again to the correct size.

The idea here is to leave the fiberglass skin on each side of the lamination intact. The epoxy fills in where the core was providing an area that cannot be compressed so the attaching bolts hold very well. There is also no way for moisture to get into the core if done this way.

RT

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I was reading an interesting book about fiberglass repair this week that uses a modification of Rob's method- this guy did unthickened epoxy, then drained the hole, then thickened it and put it back in. He said it stuck better.
Sam, if you send me your email I'll scan that page for you.
cmmiller0411@comcast.net
Chris

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I was reading an interesting book about fiberglass repair this week that uses a modification of Rob's method- this guy did unthickened epoxy, then drained the hole, then thickened it and put it back in. He said it stuck better.
Sam, if you send me your email I'll scan that page for you.
cmmiller0411@comcast.net
Chris

My method? You flatter me....:D I have seen that method too but I just like using a slightly more fluid epoxy mix that flows well enough to thoroughly wet out the area and adhere well. Note that its not a good idea, likely it is, just another step with an ornery, sticky product that seems to leak and drip everywhere. I like to use those disposable earplugs to seal the holes at the bottom instead of tape. Works great. RT

WhiteNoise

Member III
my method

On drilling, I agree with rwthomas1 with the bent nail. What I usually go is use a Fostner bit (1/2 - 3/4") and drill from the bottom side, only through the bottom skin and maybe only a bit further but not throught the top skin. Then use a bent nail chucked in a drill. This will allow you to insert a larger "bent end of the nail" if you will, and less chance of inadvertantly slipping and breaking through the top skin.

After this is completed I usually use duct tape. Afterall, "If you can't duct it, f*%$ it!) :newwink: I guess disposable earplugs (rwthomas1) would work too but I've never tried.

Hope that helps.

-Chris

Guy Stevens

Balloons

If you have a bigger hole, like the ones for a windlass, or deckplates, or dorade box inlets, you can use a balloon for the center hole.

I also prefer a smaller cheap hollow key wrench to a bent nail, they stay chucked in the drill better because they have side, are less likely to bend in wierd directions which can slice the hands of the drill operator...

I prefer to drill the hole down from the top, and to only drill the large hole through, then drill one of the mounting holes for the hardware I am mounting. Fill the big hole with the balloon (Inflate in place), then pump the epoxy in through the little mounting holes.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Using a countersink to slightly bevel the top edges of the hole may decrease the chance of developing cracks in the gelcoat.

I like the balloon idea!

Guy Stevens

COuntersink

I have never seen a countersink help with spider cracking, (Which is almost always because the epoxy fill was not completed or not correct), however the countersink will allow a much better job of bedding to happen.

You end up with a little o ring around each one of the holes if you countersink the whole slightly when you drill them.

Guy
:)