Replacing drip gland packing material on E 28+

philscho

Member II
Greetings,

I have to replace the packing gland stuffing material on the 5411 diesel in my 1981 E 28+. I recently read about a newer material manufactured by the Gore company of Gore-Tex fame. Has anyone tried this versus the standard flax material? I also do not know if the stuff has to be bought in a size specific to
your shaft or engine? Anyone with experience on this fix on this boat I would love to hear from. Much thanks,
Phil Schofield
SV / Russell James

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I just replaced the stuffing box, pedro hose and packing on my E38. I went with Duramax UltraX packing material, available from www.hamiltonmarine.com They sell it by the foot. There was some discussion that the UltraX is not as good as the real deal Gore product but its still heads and shoulders above the old flax stuff. It was easy to work with and only required one adjustment. No drips when sitting and 1 drip every 10-15 seconds underway. I'm sold. RT

philscho

Member II
Gore-Tex GFO packing material

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with the Gore-Tex GFO material.
Is the any outlet for this product in the PNW, I am in Bellingham? So far all I have found are suppliers at a distance. Florida, east coast etc.
BTW I have just finished a major rebuild on my wheel steering system ( older Yacht Specialties unit) I was able to replace all cables and conduits with Edson
parts that I found cheaper and a lot cheaper shipping from a marine supply outfit in Texas. I added two nice Lewmar 40 St 2 speeds and a seriously needed electrical system upgrade with new alternator, new battery charger, new GFI shorepower outlets, new wiring. If I had bought ( or as I have come to realize the real name for a sailboat is Sail Boaught ) this 28+ by the individual part it would have cost more than the space shuttle. Major Tom to ground control!

Phil

Special K

Member II
Gore GFO

I was not able to find a supplier in the Seattle area. I ordered the packing material over the internet and it was delivered within a week.