Replacing Compression Post and Bulkheads E27

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ideas.... well OK.

If your boat has mast that can be lowered, i.e. via a pivoting base, it could be laid down on deck. There are probably sister ship owners here that could guide you on that. If it does not have a tabernacle or other means to pivot, then you need to lift it straight up a half foot and then lower it down on deck.

Imaginative sailboat owners, with planning, helpers, and strong nerves have commandeered high bridges to jury rig such schemes... I know of a boat owner that even did the trick of having two helpful larger neighbor boats, rafted up against each side, using their spin halyards to gently and slowly hoist his mast straight up off the step. (I would have to be quite desperate to try that one...)

Hopefully some other sister ship owners can chime in with more useful notions. :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Loren

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Idea 1: loosen the shrouds and use a bottle jack and some 2x4s inside the cabin to elevate and remove the pressure from the compression post. (It's deck-stepped, right?)

Idea 2: use halyards from your port and starboard neighbors' boats to lift your mast and lower it to the deck. The 27's mast is not all that heavy.

Idea 3: with the pressure off the compression post and bulkheads, cut out the rotten portions of the bulkheads, taper the edge, and scarf in some pieces of G10, also tapered, with increasingly wide layers of fiberglass cloth. I'm suggesting not cutting out the entire bulkhead. Perhaps you can replace the compression post separately?

I've done something like this, but my bulkheads rotted from the top. Depending on the access, rot from the bottom might be an easier repair, especially if there are no chainplates to contend with.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-and-Bulkhead-replace/page3&p=52891#post52891