Replacing Cockpit Drain (Scupper) Cover

markvone

Sustaining Member
Perko vs Seadog

The Seadog cover has slightly different mounting screw hole locations (the screw size is the same) which required me to fill the original holes and re-drill new ones. The old filled holes are covered by the new cover so just a little more time involved. I had to do this for the similar shower cover as well. So the Perko version matches the original covers slightly better (if you still have originals). I'm a Seadog cover guy now!

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?14521-Cockpit-Drain-Cover-for-Ericson-33

Mark

Last edited:

debonAir

Member III
Funny I had just ordered the sea-dog covers yesterday and now just saw this thread. I seams the Perko cover is a better fit? Is it a no-drill fit? I really only need to replace one, but would like all four to match and the sea-dogs were cheap (about $3) I got 4. BUT... I'd rather not drill more holes than needed. Does anyone know which cover is better? The one I am replacing got pushed in and one grate broken and sticking up like a fork. If the sea-dog is thicker / stronger I'd be happy to fill-n-drill but if the perko is better I'll order them if I can find the stainless ones.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Scuppers combined

Two scupper cover threads seemed related so I combined them. This might make searching a bit easier as well.

As for dealing with any subtle difference in the attachment holes, remember that the plywood coring under the cockpit sole is especially prone to moisture intrusion as the boats age. This is a place where it would be wise to enlarge the little holes a bit, epoxy fill, and re-drill.

Note B: while more slots might make the cover surface a little more prone to denting, more total area for water to escape is a very good thing. I have several friends that added a 2" glassed-in tube to the rear or to both sides of their cockpit well, about 2 or 3 inches above the sole just to allow large quantities of water to exit fast; all of these folks were planning on crossing the Pacific and were concerned about ridding their boat of a boarding sea. (They have all gone cruising, and thru good weather planning I do not recall any of them having much need for the draining upgrade.... but the added peace of mind is priceless.)
:)

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
debonair,

Both the plates are about the same quality. They are both fairly thin and not real beefy but they only span about 2.5 inches of open space on my boat so they don't flex much. I'd get the Perkos to save the fill/re-drill work regardless of the price if I were doing over.

Mark

debonAir

Member III
I installed the sea-dog plates this weekend and the screw holes lined up just right. Wish they made a version just slightly thicker as I can tell these will buckle in the first time someone puts a bare-foot heel on them.