Replacing alchohol stove - Ideas?

Sven

Seglare
Sven said:
Hi Loren,

I'll have to look for the indentation you are talking about. The instructions did indeed show the canister tipped but even when I tipped it it still splattered.

I don't see the indentation. The picture below is what my fuel canisters look like.

-Sven

Attachments

• Origo fuel canister.jpg
    Origo fuel canister.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 119

rgoff

Member III
If I remember correctly, the indentation is in the "cotten" filling at the outside edge of the hole (at one specific spot), not the metal.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Origo canister details

One side of the SS mesh in the center should have a dimple on one side and that's the side you put downward when you tilt it about 45 degrees to pour in the alcohol from a plastic non-dribble container. Take it slow. Their instructions say that when you sit the canister on its side and see liquid alcohol about to run over the lip, that's full enough.

We find that we can go for almost a week on one fillup, depending on how much burn time we average, of course. Note that alcohol will evaporate out around the closed shut-off slider when not using it for a few weeks. There is an optional rubber lid that you can put on each canister to prevent or at least slow down this loss when you are away from the boat for a week.
I tried to get some photos of the canisters on our Origo... I need to re-read the manual on closeups... :rolleyes:

Perhaps you have a canister where ther screen dimple was missed through some sort of QC foulup when it was assembled (?).
Loren

Attachments

• Orego6000 LidOPen.jpg
    Orego6000 LidOPen.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 90
  • pointing to fill point.jpg
    pointing to fill point.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 86
  • looking at dimple.jpg
    looking at dimple.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 79

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Many thanks for the effort and time. Our fuel cannisters don't have that dimple (none of the three, long "duh"-story why I have a 3rd one).

However, the mesh is 1/8th to 1/4" lower than the lip all around. Maybe that is a new design that is supposed to give the same effect but doesn't quite work.

We do have the rubber seals for when the stove is not used for a long time. I already tried to light the seal, forgetting that I'd left it in place on the burner we didn't need the night before. The seal doesn't burn, but it smokes and gets a hole in it :)

The stove is great !

-Sven