Replacing a Thruhull with Boat in Water (video)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This boat is reported to be a 1972 Ericson. I think the video gives a pretty good insight into what's involved.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When will he notice that someone has stolen his engine?!
:(

Interesting that he did not replace the wood piece with G10 composite material. Not expensive and by coincidence we were out picking up several cut pieces of it for another project, this afternoon.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
When will he notice that someone has stolen his engine?!
:(

Interesting that he did not replace the wood piece with G10 composite material. Not expensive and by coincidence we were out picking up several cut pieces of it for another project, this afternoon.
I always have to order G10 online, do you have a source in Portland?

Think he mentioned one could theoretically do this solo and that'd be quite a feat. Cool procedure to see be done successfully, it's noted worst case scenario just haul out.

Don't believe to have ever read 4200 explicitly advertised as offering wet application properties but makes some sense since it's moisture cured - good to know honestly.

I particularly liked seeing the m12 rotary tool be used

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is hardly best practices and I think he got lucky here. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

patrscoe

Member III
Interesting - never seen this done in the water as a voluntary decision. Sometimes it is just worth spending some money for a short haul out. Once he started, there was no turning back.
I get nervious when I am the hard performing throughhull work and it certainly takes more a few weekends....

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If your sitting at your slip with no engine and a pile of other work to do and you notice a backing plate is leaking and you happen to know a diver, I think this is a good solution. It's much better than waiting for a haul out and coordinating a tow all while you rely on your bilge pump. I don't think anyone would have this as their first choice when all else is equal, but in this situation it sounds more than reasonable.

Gaviate

Member III
Well done for both the video production and the successful completion of the task! As others have mentioned, best done on the hard where you can actually remove the through-hull and get new sealant on both sides of the hull. Nice to have seen it done in alternative conditions which, for me, makes the boogeyman not so scary!
Tools that don't perform as designed should be stowed in a safe place on the bottom of the Lake! I give high marks to the ability to improvise and find something else that works, never mind the water bubbling in....no pressure!