Replacement tiller

Jarod

Member III
Hello all,

The tiller on my E27 is falling apart (the layers are separating.) I was wondering if someone could recommend a replacement. I would attempt to repair the original but I live in the city and do not have a place to work on it. The GF probably wont like the epoxy fumes in our 700 sq foot condo. I looked at the West Marine ones but they make no mention of a direct E27 replacement.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jarod

Member III
Also if i have no other option and have to repiar the original. I suppose some west system thickened with silica and some clamps would be about all I would need? I have read on the web that it is a good idea to drill out the holes oversize and fill with thickened epoxy, then redrill for bolts. Apparently this holds up better.

Glyn Judson

Replacement tiller for your E27.

Jarod, H&L Marine were the original suppliers for Ericson when your boat was made and they're still going strong. They don't have a web site or internet access but can be contacted by phone or mail at 310.638.8746, 2965 E. Harcourt Rancho Dominguez CA 90221. Tell them the measurements of your tiller and ask for a catalog while you're at it. It's a lovely color catalog very well done and made up of single pages that can be added to or replcaed very easily, etc. They're good folks and will send you an exact replacement of what you now have. Good luck, Glyn

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Replacement E27 tiller

Just for the record,
I too recently needed to replace my tiller.

While coming out of my slip (single handed, stering with my outboard and my recently acquired tiller extension), the wind forced me to shift to reverse and backout in a hurry. My tiller extension was forced against the setee which splitered my tiller to pieces.

Anyways, I bought the exact replacement from H & L marine which is beautiful and a perfect fit.

However, the tiller I purchased was for a Pearson 26 and not the Ericson 27 listed in their catalog. The base measurement off my boat is 2 13/16 x 2.0 as opposed to the Ericson's 2 7/8 base width.

Be sure to measure your existing tiller before placing you order. I was lucky that the folks at H & L caught the difference and got me the right tiller.

FYI.... H & L does not take credit cards -COD only- and while Defender.com buys from H & L, they do not list all the differnet models that H & L carries.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, Hull#406
Antioch, CA