Replacement Port and Starbord water tanks

cruis-n

Member II
I've scoured the archives and done a search of the web (thanks Google) looking for replacement fresh water tanks for my 1984 E35-3. They are starting to rust through around the welds. Aparently this is a common occurrence when SS is welded. In any case, I've looked at the Ronco Plastics site and found several tanks that may serve (B145, B171, B452, B489, B490, B500, B501). There is a place in Florida that does custom tanks but those run about $600 each. That's why I'm looking for a rigid plastic solution (I don't want flexible tanks, too many issues with them).

I was hoping someone here had the size/model for a Ronco tank. In the meantime, I have several questions.

My questions are:
1) Has anyone replaced their port and starboard fresh water tanks with a Ronco Plastics tank?
2) If so, what tank (model number) did you use?
3) If you did not use plastic, what did you use? Stainless? Who made it and what was the cost?
4) Any 'gotchas' to watch out for?

While I have the tanks out, I'mpainting the area under the tanks with 'Bilgekote' or a one part urathane.

BTW, I removed the bow tank to make room for Air Conditioning so if someone needs a bow water tank let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might want to d/l the Raritan and Kracor catalogs also (pdf files). They do not have what I need, but you might get lucky.
I have been searching for the "easy way" for the last 6 months to put a larger water tank under my starboard settee to replace the smallish Ronco tank put there by Ericson. a lot of space under there was wasted in accomodating a "stock" tank size. I am comsidering custom SS, a custom welded-up plastic, or fabbing one up myself with cloth/coring/epoxy.
I just cannot seem to find a stock size in the large selection from Ronco that will fit into place without a lot of butchering of the settee structure.

Keep us posted,
Thanks,

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8

cruis-n

Member II
BTW, here is a jpg drawing of the current tanks (if I can get it to work...)

Attachments

• ericson_35_water_tanks.jpg
    ericson_35_water_tanks.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 424

cruis-n

Member II
Neither Kracor or Raritan has a replacement

I talked with the Kracor folks today... They had a Ericson tank for a 1977 but don't have the mold any longer. They said it probably would not fit in any case.

Can't get in touch with the Ronco plastics folks. Busy signals on their fax line, no answer on their phone line and no answer on eMail.

Worked with Vic at Raritan but they didn't have a suitable replacement tank either.

It's not loooking good...

Last edited:

cruis-n

Member II
The saga continues

You would not believe how difficult this is getting to be.

I talked with Ron at Ronco Plastics. He has the molds for quite a few Ericsons but not for water tanks for the 35-3. Ron indicated he could do a custom tank but the cost for the mold is about $600 each and the tank would be on top of that.

Raritan Engineeering did not have a set of tanks that would fit but were helpful.

Krakor was helpful but no tank to fit.

Todd marine seems to only have square tanks so nothing there.

I am waiting on responses from Inca Plastics (it may be home when I get there) and El Monte Plastics.

I did talk with Cliff at Barry Sheet Metal (the original fabricator of the existing tanks. His guess was about $750 for the pair of tanks. It's sounding better all the time.

My question at the moment is:

Do all of the E35-3 (post 1984)boats all have metal fresh water tanks or did some come with plastic tanks?

Last edited:

cruis-n

Member II
The hunt for replacement water tanks

:(
Neither Inca plastics or El Monte plastics had tanks that could fit. Seems most everyone builds square tanks (except for Ronco).

I am waiting for a quote from Florida Marine Tanks for a pair of stainless tanks.
It looks like it's down to a choice of stainless or stainless. Guess it'll be decided by price/features.

Stay tuned.

cruis-n

Member II
The bottom line

So the bottom line is I am going to replace both tanks with metal tanks from Florida Marine Tanks and add an additional cleanout to each tank.

If anyone is interested, I can post pictures of the project.