Replacement of rotten tiller for ericson 25

stduin

My tiller handle is rotten on my 1978 Ericson 25. What is best way to restore or replace it? Thanks for support.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
West Marine and Defender and similar sites sell laminated replacement tillers.

You can also laminate your own, if interested, with simple tools. For a 25-footer I once just sawed one out of a plank of oak using the original as the profile. Unlike the original, it did not break in half whenever I, uh, accidentally sat on it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's what a tiller should look like. On a cruising boat, make it strong. Eventually somebody's going to fall on it.

The tiller of Tally Ho is solid bronze. I wonder what that will feel like in the hand during the midwatch in the North Sea.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
My tiller handle is rotten on my 1978 Ericson 25. What is best way to restore or replace it? Thanks for support.
I have a spare from a past sailboat. Give me some dimensions and I'll see if it will work for you.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I have my original delaminated tiller but I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t worth the time to fix it , so I bought one from west marine that looks like gargrags. it’s very well made. I had to epoxy some hardwood to its base in order to make it wide enough to fit snugly.