replacement hatches

Chris Remson

I'm looking for a low maintenance hatch to replace the wood frame/clouded plexiglass hatches on my '78 34t. Has anyone found a replacement hatch compatible with the fiberglass curb?

A number of years back I replaced the old wooden hatch with a new one--teak. It was easy, using the old one as a template, to get a carpenter to make me what I needed. Put dark acrylic on it and then installed a solar-powered exhaust fan. I have to varnish the wood once a year, but the fix was good, fast and inexpensive.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had a 1979 E-2-30 in our YC that the owner replaced both the forward and salon hatch with alloy hatches. He looked around and found some with the right cut-out size and they fit and looked great. They were not Lewmar, but one of the other brands in the catalogs, is all I remember offhand.
I know that he took off the teak trim and epoxied in the mounting holes. I think they were then gel coated in.

Loren in Portland, OR

Hobbster

Have it made

I would be glad to make one for you out of fiberglass. (I make replacement hatches for Morgan sail boats now. Cost would be around $250.00+/- for a solid hatch and a wondow is around a $125.00+/- adder. It would take me around 3 weeks to build the first one ( I have to make the mold). Any interest? I am molding a fiberglass replacement hatch for my companionway for my E-27 to replace the old teak hatch that has come apart. I am still retaining the teak deck boards. I hope to have the rebuild of my e-27 done by Sept. 1 of 200?.

Glen.

Chris Remson

replacement hatch

Glen,
Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the replacement hatches you've made for the Morgans. I'm definately interested, but not sure what they would look like, particularly with window. Also, my boat is beige, not white, and I'm not sure how a new fiberglass hatch would look next to 25 year old, beige fiberglass. How would I match the color? any thoughts?
thanks,
Chris

Hobbster

HATCHES

Chris:

This is how I match old gelcoat colors. If the boat is local, I use a camera/computer to shoot the color. Then I mix in a flatening agent to best match the gloss. The match is good.

The Morgan hatches were originaly made from plastic and our replacement hatches are exact replacements only in fiberglass. The insert we use is a polycarbinate plastic and we use a dark tint. I will try to post pictures of them later today. If you e-mail me your e-mail address I will send pictures to you.

Glen

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I too, am interested in replacing the original hatches with something more seaworthy - I plan on cruising and want something that would survive a breaking wave.
Loren - did yours fit that description?
Glen - is that something you can make?
Gareth E35 #241 1972