Replaced Barient 23 Winches with New Harkens on Ericson 27

Josh Dvorson

Greetings from SF Bay. Just looking for a ballpark -- approximately how many hours of labor would y'all expect to see on an invoice for replacing two main winches on an Ericson 27?

Josh

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, it would take an amateur like me about an hour each.

Once you have the winches in hand, and are certain of their location and orientation, it's just a matter of drilling holes, caulking and tightening bolts.

But boats have surprises, so the installer needs to see the job to give an estimate. And this is something you can do yourself, which is faster, cheaper and more educational.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Depends on whether or not the nuts are easily accessible from below. If hoses, wiring or other mounted equipment blocks access to the mounting nuts, the labor time could be higher.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Another variable would be if they filled any old holes. And I'd be a good deal slower than Christian. I think he's closer to what a pro would do.

Josh Dvorson

I appreciate the input -- old holes did need to be filled and new ones needed to be drilled. Access from underneath was reported to be extremely challenging, but the total number of hours shocked me: about 18 (invoiced fewer than actual I was told)