Replace the water heater

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I was fixing a small leak in my water system this past weekend and got to thinking about the hot water heater in my E32-III (1987). It almost looks like the boat was built around it! Now, I'm not having any problems with the water heater now but someday I maybe have to replace it.

How do you get it out? Has anyone ever replaced it? Would I have to disassemble it in place and take it out in pieces? Reciprocating saw?? Anyone have an answer? :confused:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Depends on how big it is. I was able to get mine out through the lazarette, barely. I believe it is a 6 gallon model; Raritan. I am considering an Isotemp (?) unit if I decide to replace it.

jgarmin098

Member II
I pulled mine out of my '88 32-3. To do so, I pulled all the trimwork off above the portside engine access panel. That gave me about a half inch to spare.

ref_123

Member III
Isotemp Slim

Hi there,

we bought the Isotemp Slim 6-gal model - it went in perfectly through the cockpit locker without any disassembling. It was also very easy to install. We have it for 5 years now.

Have no clue what happened to the original water heater - we bought her without one.

Regards,
Stan

E32-3 1986 "Fire Eater"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you remove the sheet metal shell you may be able to fit it through the hatch. I did that on my 35-3 and replaced it with an Isotemp slimline 6 gal model.