Replace Large Fixed Ports with Opening Ones

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Anyone recognize the opening ports in the attached pic......if so would you please advise. BTW.... I found the attached pic while searching Ericson Yachts on Flickr.

Thanks

Jim

Ericson 32-2
Hampton Roads VA

Attachments

• 3331117478_8ec2584c7d_o.jpg
    3331117478_8ec2584c7d_o.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,202

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anyone recognize the opening ports in the attached pic......if so would you please advise. BTW.... I found the attached pic while searching Ericson Yachts on Flickr.
Thanks
Jim
Ericson 32-2
Hampton Roads VA

Cool Picture, Jim!
Except for being a different Ericson and different person, that's the working position for installing the backing plate under the side deck above the galley in our boat...
:0
My back hurts just remembering those days.

While I have actually seen one O-34 with ports like those whereas all the sisterships have fixed ports, I would be cautious about making the change. All of those opening ports, from any vendor, need to have a ruler-flat surface for mounting. There is a subtle curve, front to back, all the way down the cabin side on almost all boats. The frame and seals function OK for the shorter standard opening ports, but you get into some pronounced change in the surface over a distance of, say, about two feet of length. The change could easily be 1/4" to 1/2".

The frame is going to flex when you pull it down tight (as you must) for the install, and the lens sponge gasket will keep water out OK for a year or three, but, after that.... I foresee leaks at each end of the port.

I know a shipwright that has put in long opening ports on several custom upgrade projects. He does the cut-out and then builds up the edge, especially toward the ends on the outside. Finally it is all faired perfectly flat on the outside and the cut-out finalized. Then the long opening port can be installed and the gasket makes uniform pressure contact. Of course this requires re-finishing the exterior with gel coat or LPU.

More ventilation is a Very Good Thing, but the install details are very important.
I have been on some rough deliveries with enough leaking port and hatch gaskets that I want to be real sure that green water is kept outside. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
New Found Metals makes some very nice ports, some models are long and narrow. Installing them would require squaring off the tapered end openings of the stock fixed ports. That said, I would have a tough time believing that a NFM cast stainless port, especially the spigot section, would bend on installation. I've handled the NFM product, I don't think it would flex if you parked a truck on one of them.... RT