Replace Bulkhead

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Are you sure you need to replace the whole bulkhead? That’s what I thought...until I was clued in to what G10 can do. This patch has been solid as a rock and began my love affair with this miraculous boatbuilding product:

kapnkd

kapnkd
I have to replace the port side bulkhead on my E 32
Anyone that had to do that and can give me a heads up?
We replaced all our bulkheads awhile back rather than splicing sections of new wood in. Mostly we did it for the cosmetics and strength/durability of using marine grade ply.

Can you post some images for everyone to review as to the condition of your needed repair? ...You’ll certainly get better recommendations that way.

Here’s a way back photo of our new main bulkheads in place, stained and varnished. We also tabbed them back in more beefy than originally. The boat is now incredibly more stiff and solid than ever before. (Note ports were removed and refurbished as well. Did everything we could to keep any future water intrusion away from the chainplates.)
1A07F6B8-F50C-4384-854C-6B905291A536.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Wow beautiful work there kapnkd, well done!

Thank you to both of you for your kind compliments.

Must admit that when all the bulkheads were cut out, hanging locker and head cabinetry removed so it looked like a long bowling ally...I had a lot of fear and serious concerns it would never ever get finished or go back together and fit (especially the dual closing head/salon door)!

It sure seemed a “Never Ending Project” when started, but - now well worth the time and efforts.

The MinWax “Gunstock” color became our choice of color for staining and did an excellent job of uniformity of color in a couple areas where we had to use other than mahogany wood.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you to both of you for your kind compliments.

Must admit that when all the bulkheads were cut out, hanging locker and head cabinetry removed so it looked like a long bowling ally...I had a lot of fear and serious concerns it would never ever get finished or go back together and fit (especially the dual closing head/salon door)!

It sure seemed a “Never Ending Project” when started, but - now well worth the time and efforts.

The MinWax “Gunstock” color became our choice of color for staining and did an excellent job of uniformity of color in a couple areas where we had to use other than mahogany wood.
Thanks for all of your pictures and candid narrative. We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the start of our re-fit, and now finishing up all the details after the relaunch. You have been a regular source of encouragement and enthusiasm -- and not the only one, here, either!
:egrin:

PDX

Member III
In rebuilding our boat we tabbed our new bulkheads to the ceiling and it (along with everything else we did) made the boat much much stiffer. So here's a vote for retabbing bulkheads if you're going to the trouble of rebuilding them. Actually, the bulkheads on the E32 may not have been tabbed to the ceiling at all. The ones on our original E30 were not. They were tabbed to the hull only. Then the headliner was lowered onto the bulkheads and that was that.

kapnkd

kapnkd
In rebuilding our boat we tabbed our new bulkheads to the ceiling and it (along with everything else we did) made the boat much much stiffer. So here's a vote for retabbing bulkheads if you're going to the trouble of rebuilding them. Actually, the bulkheads on the E32 may not have been tabbed to the ceiling at all. The ones on our original E30 were not. They were tabbed to the hull only. Then the headliner was lowered onto the bulkheads and that was that.

Our bulkheads were not originally tabbed to the underside deck or cabin roof and figured it was for a reason so simply nested the new bulkheads back into the molded in groves for them.

We did tab them back to the hull sides more thoroughly than the factory tabbing with additional layers plus tabbing both sides.

(Hanging locker area with already tabbed main bulkhead. Was ready to glass in partition wall for two drawers.)
7DAC950E-FB3F-4271-B655-1718D94967F6.png

Like for you, our boat is now a lot stiffer ...and without her old creaks an groans when underway or at anchor. (I confess it’s difficult to sleep at night now with the absence of boat noises.) ;-))