replace 1979 Ericson diesel

Christiane

Is it worth putting a new diesel into a 1979 Ericson, which is in otherwise good shape? I am trying to sell it because I cannot afford to keep it.

Ernest

Member II
New Diesel

It is not worth the $10,000 or so that it costs. You will never get it back. Ernest Schlesinger

diamondjim

Member II
Diesel replacement

IF you are handy or know someone who will help you, try Ebay for a Good used diesel. Got mine for $800 delivered to my front door, coast to coast. I replaced the origional Universal with the same Kubota block (Universal) from a rice harvester!!! Performs just like the origional for $5000 less!!
Good luck.

Andrew Palmer

I just paid 13,000 for a new yanmar, installed. There wasn't to much work to it (meaning not alot of extras --$$$$ ). I'm glad I did, but I'm planning on keeping her awhile. Sometimes you don't have alot of options, but there is always someone who loves a challenge and a deal. :egrin:

Emerald

Hi,

A lot of this depends on which '79 Ericson you have. What is she? Obviously, if you are talking about something like an E-27 (just sold mine, so I have a good feel on the market, or lack thereof), you can't possibly pay someone to do this and come out ahead. As stated earlier, if you can do all the work and find a drop in replacement for under 1K, it may be worth it.

Does your current engine run? If it is usable, even if it smokes, you are probably better to "adjust" the price by 500 bucks and see what happens before you invest the time and energy in it.

Of note, I repowered my E-27 before selling it because I didn't think I was selling it at the time I did the repower. If I hadn't picked up a replacement engine for $500, and did all the work myself, I could never have come out on top of it in the long run.

I hope this helps some.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald