Removing varnish from deck

Shaun

Member I
Hi, my boat partner slopped some varnish onto the deck of our 27' ericson. What can we use to remove/dissolve it?

thx

MT Taipan

Member I
The PO of my 27 had bad eyesight and got varnish everywhere. We used a brand called Citristrip from a hardware store along with the wash to neutralize it afterwards. I then used fiberglass restore and then followed up with a good waxing. You can't even tell there was ever a problem (I made it sound like I did the work but it was really the Admiral, I just take the credit). There will probably be people that will say this was wrong but... I'm just a guy from Montana so take it from there. We have shared this with people in the marina and have earn bottles of wine because we are so clever. As we told others, try a small area first before you go crazy.

Lee

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Heat gun. Works great and no chemicals to rinse and store. Added benefits... Remove varnish from britework, shrink heatshrink tubing over wire termination, and a nice hand warmer working outside when cold.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The virtues of Heat

Heat gun. Works great and no chemicals to rinse and store. Added benefits... Remove varnish from britework, shrink heatshrink tubing over wire termination, and a nice hand warmer working outside when cold.

I have owned one for years, but do be careful... I always use the lower of the two heat settings, and keep it moving.
Permanent damage is just a moment's inattention away!

Every couple years the state registration stickers by our bow numbers get replaced. Being careful not to over-do the heat on any one point, it's perfect for softening the vinyl sticker enough to (mostly) peel it off without leaving (very much) adhesive behind. You did not ask, but acetone takes care of the small amount of adhesive residue remaining.

I once used the heat gun to help remove a large hatch when nothing else would break loose the adhesive/sealant around the flange base.

"Stay thirsty my friends!"

:egrin: