Removing the original hose from scuppers to thru-hull under galley sink?

windblown

Member III
I still have all the original bilge hoses (the white corrugated with the blue fittings, and the heavy red ones that run to the bilge and shower sump.
I have pulled the water heater for replacement, and it seems to be the perfect opportunity to replace those I can.
Does anyone have any strategies/insight into how to get the old hoses out?
1. First, I really want to replace the hose that runs from the thru-hull under the sink up through the TAFG on the starboard side, past the rudder and to the T that then goes to the inside scuppers? This is my first priority.*
2. Next would be the original hose that comes from the bilge compartment 3 (aft of shower sump compartment and main bilge compartment) running through TAFG on port side below battery compartment (and fuel tank?) past rudder, up to 90degree connection then up the Whale manual pump in cockpit.
3. Those old bilge hoses, which are so past their life expectancy and may be the source of persistent water that makes its way forward under the sole near the nav station.
Any tips on getting the old hoses out, or on getting new ones in would be most welcome!

*(The PO left the old hose in place and ran heavy, marine exhaust-quality hose from thru-hull over the top, alongside the old water heater, past the rudder post, which was a good fix for dangerous old hose, but it is in the way of the new heater and has signs of chafing in several spots)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Snaking the new hose thru the grid openings might be difficult. Some here have reported success doing it the old fashioned way - stitching the new hose to the end of the old and pulling it thru.
We have a partial grid, but there are hidden plywood mini bulkheads under several places. It was quite the project. Absolutely necessary, tho, to start over with new and high quality hose.

Also: some comments in a blog entry about our project. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/new-bilge-hose-april-2016.480/

Last edited:

windblown

Member III
Snaking the new hose thru the grid openings might be difficult. Some here have reported success doing it the old fashioned way - stitching the new hose to the end of the old and pulling it thru.
We have a partial grid, but there are hidden plywood mini bulkheads under several places. It was quite the project. Absolutely necessary, tho, to start over with new and high quality hose.
Thanks, Loren. So far, I haven't been able to get the old hose to move even 1/2 an inch. I've pulled out the old blower hoses, which were cable-tied in under there. I think at this point, the resistance may be the grunge and grit that have accumulated around the hose over the last 37 years. If that's the case, some bilge cleaner, more patience, and more force might break it loose. I wonder if there might be cable ties holding it that I can't see, as there were for the blower hoses?
While this project might be a bear, I am in total agreement that it is necessary, and I'm willing to splash later in the season to get it done.

windblown

Member III

Also: some comments in a blog entry about our project. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/new-bilge-hose-april-2016.480/
Thank you for the blog link. Very helpful. What kind of bilge hose is that that you used for the replacement?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I sourced it at a local industrial hose/fittings supply company. I could have used other name-brand bilge-rated smooth hose from a chandler, but the price is higher.
These products change, over time, but a name brand one might be Trident 146, 147, or 149. What you want is smooth-bore for solid clamping, with the spiral ribs integral. And of course "bilge rated"...

Check the OEM outside diameter carefully, and try not to go any larger OD.
And, Posidon forbid... someone at the factory may have put in some tie wraps around the old hose as the boat was being assembled. (All of our wiring was secured this way in some really hard-to-acess places. Mutter mutter....)

Note A- Some liquid soap may help when working the hoses thru, wherever you can reach.
Note B- When extracting our old hose from beneath the aft cabin berth area, I did tie a line to the end, lead it thru a temporary block inside the transom, and up thru the seat hatch for Kathy to haul on. Some dignified swearing was also involved.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had to cut these hoses into bits and wrangle each section out, leaving enough meat on one end to grab onto. Can’t help you with reinstalling though, I eliminated the cockpit scupper hose to sink drain thru hull by adding new scupper thru hulls under the transom. I didn’t like to leave an open thru hull below the water line. I also relocated the sink drain thru hull which on the 30+ required lying on the cabin sole on my side and reaching as far as I could to move the handle. Poor design. Soap is helpful but I did find a hose lubricant (yeah yeah, I know) from McMaster Carr or somewhere similar that worked better when I needed to install hose over hose barb fittings. Might help it through the TAFG. I found when the soap dries it’s sticky!