Removing rudder on E27 wheel steering

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I would assume you need to remove the steering pedestal first if you haven't already. I can't be of much help because I have a tiller. I only need to remove one bolt to free the rudder from the tiller on my boat.

In the E-27 Manuel I downloaded from this site 12 years ago there is some info (diagrams) on pages 38-50 about how the rudders are installed on both wheel and tiller. Very general mind you. The file for download was titled "Ericson_27_Manual.pdf". I can't seem to locate it in the down loads section anymore. There is another manuel, but it's not complete. It's a 18.2 MB file, a little big to e-mail. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I could try to send you what I have.

Last edited:

Walter Pearson

Member III
Assuming I had the same configuration you do, I did not have to disassemble the pedestal itself. I had an emergency tiller cap on the post that had to be removed, but the quadrant is the major item that must be disassembled. For that, start with removing the eyebolts that connect the cables. Try and mark or measure the location of the stop nuts so you can re-assemble with a good starting point for adjusting tension. The quadrant on my boat was split and the two parts needed to be separated. There was also a through bolt that had to be removed. Support the rudder while doing this because it may or may not slide out on its own. One difficulty I had was the heads of the bolts holding the quadrant together are in a very small counterbore and it was hard getting a wrench or socket on the bolt heads. A smart guy at NAPA suggested a 6-point metric (13mm) socket instead of the more common 1/2 in socket. It had a much thinner wall thickness and proved to be the answer.

The other thing that made my life easier was that I enlarged the original opening into the quadrant location.

The drawing in my file for the steerer is not very detailed, but might confirm that we are talking about the same thing. I see that it is too big for attaching. If you think it will help, I will resize it and resubmit. (The old Yacht Specialties manual does not appear to be available in the archives.)