Removing Propane Locker

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
I'm thinking of cutting out the old propane tank locker in the port aft lazarette to create better access to the aft lazarette for stowage and inspection. Our boat is a 1988 E38-200. Does anyone have any experience with this modification?
Mike Jacker

tadslc

Member III
Haven't done this mod but have been thinking about it for a while. I think it's quite do-able, I just haven't gotten the nerve to bring out the saw.

Good Luck!

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
No propane for us

We use CNG. The pressurized cylinder for our cooking gas is strapped in a cradle on the shelf in our starboard cockpit lazarette. No need for a special locker or remote shut off, as the natural gas is lighter than air. This is much safer than propane, though not as readily available. We bought the boat with this system from her previous owners on the East Coast. Fortunately, this gas is available in Waukegan, our home port, as well as at other locations on Lake Michigan.
Mike Jacker

Glyn Judson

Just a wee bit off topic.

All, Sorry to take this thread in another direction but I couldn't resist sharing a story with you. A sky diver jumps from the plane and pulls the primary cord only to watch the entire pack fly up and away. He pulls the cord to the second chute and it tangles hopelessly. He has mere seconds to reflect on his life as the ground is rushing toward him when all of a sudden a guy flies past headed upward. He has the presence of mind to yell to the guy, "You know anything about parachutes"? While still within earshot other chap answers, "No, you know anything about propane stoves"? Enjoy, Glyn