removing prop shaft on E32-2..??

pablo

Member I
Does anyone know what's involved in removing shaft in order to replace the cutlass bearing on a E32-2?.........

wondering how the shaft is pulled out....could really use some good advice...thanks.

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Don't get the shaft!

A 32-2 should not require removal of the shaft to replace the bearing. If you have a strut, the bearing may be pressed out using a simple bearing press. You don't need to remove the prop if you use a two piece bearing.....project should take less than an hour.

Good Luck:egrin:

pablo

Member I
Thanks, Salty Dawg....

Great news, mate! So where can I get a bearing press and where can I get a hold of the 2 piece cutlass bearing?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If you search the archives you'll find a lot about this process.

It is possible to borrow rent or make a bearing press to squeeze the old bearing out of the strut without removing the shaft.

But there are not, as far as I'm aware, two-part marine cutless bearings, so you will have to remove the prop to get the old one off and the new one on, but that is not a big project.

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Cutless

Here are a couple of pullers courtesy of Good Old Boat Magazine. The cutless puller also acts as the press for install. I purchased my bearing from the yard where I do my haul-out. I'll give them a call in the AM. If you can't find a two piece bearing just pull the prop....might add 20 minutes to the project. :egrin:

Attachments

• Cutless Puller.jpg
    Cutless Puller.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Prop Puller.jpg
    Prop Puller.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 104